I've gotten great help with PC parts, Now I want to ask a few things about building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magooly

Baseband Member
I am interested in building my own computer, but am hesitant I think just because I never have.
I've been doing a lot of research and while reading is a fine thing I'm curious what some of the pitfalls are.

I'm sure there are some things that are easy to overlook and can really cause a lot of headaches if missed.
What are some of the things I should watch out for?
Any tips, hints or advice you guys have picked up along the way and would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I'm planning to buy. (already have video card - 8800 GT)

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
CPU fan - Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail
Mobo - Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Case - Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 RC-830-SSN2-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
mem- Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail x2

PSU- Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Dvd drive - Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail
Fans - Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail x7

That's pretty much I'm getting, I just wanted to ask about some basic things that Have me worried. I want to get vista 64 bit for 4 gigs and directx10. I heard that it's buggy and is not worth the trouble, That true?

I want to know something about HDD's, One of my friends told me that I could get a WD raptor and put vista on it, and put all my other stuff on the other HDD. I'm not sure if he is stupid or not, But I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again

Re: I've gotten great help with PC parts, Now I want to ask a few things about buildi

Dont bother with raptor drives, most of the normal drives these days are close enough in performance to not warrant the price of a raptor.

Re: I've gotten great help with PC parts, Now I want to ask a few things about buildi

Yeah... you could get a Raptor for Vista and put the other stuff on another hard drive.

I recommend against it, simply because a Raptor doesn't offer as much performance increase as you would think. You'd be better off just getting another large drive for storage, IMO.

Everything looks good though... as you probably already know.

Alright thanks, I'll just keep my 320 then. Thanks for reply

are you grabbing the quad from Newegg or Clubit?

newegg

If I may ask, What's g0?

Its the model that gives you the best overclocking potential, because its designed to draw less power then the B3 stepping did.

The G0 is just a reference to the differing model and the easiest way to tell which type your getting.

Are you really gonna put 7 fans in that case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom