Ive finally decided! but help me out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaackoran

In Runtime
im going to buy an opteron 146 chip, because ive seen people getting 2.7+ghz average with them on stock air.

Now i just need help picking out the stepping, and some ram.

im thinking of using a ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 ULI motherboard, just so i can use my agp card until the g80 comes out..anyone see problems overlcocking with this thing? If so ...reccomend me a new board choice.

and what RAM would be sufficient...probably 2gb...but what type?

Im not really interested in SLI or crossfire, my budget is about $250 for the motherboard+ram.

Some reliable brands, Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, G.SKILLS

Are you also looking to OC the RAM or not?

only if i have to OC it to get to fx-55/57 speeds....like about 2.6ghz....atleast

would i need to OC pc400? I think i need to alter the FSB cus the multiplier is locked...

more info would help..

just to tell you, you can't choose the stepping. unless you buy it on ebay. its totally random. that mobo is fine. get some g.skill ram. or ocz both are good for oc'ing.

yeah im gonna buy off ebay, newegg doesnt ship to canada now..

im looking at the CAB2E stepping....its 2 months used... proven tested at 2.8ghz...

i wouldnt really want to go higher then that... if i buy it will i be able to replicate that speed with 2gb g skillz ram and that asrock mobo?

blaackoran said:
im thinking of using a ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 ULI motherboard, just so i can use my agp card until the g80 comes out..

I highley doubt that there making the G80 in AGP form:confused:

...lose that motherboard....get this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152
cant beat that price, OC well..

As for RAM....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047

Good name brand but 250 is a short budget for a OC'ing mobo and Good OC'ing RAM....

your total with all those is $268.98. Im sure you can spare a extra 20 dollars:)

hope I helped:D

erm....its got 1 16x pcie another pci that can be made into a pcie 16 and one agp....

sorry for not explaining better

alright ... one last call for anything wrong with:

G skill 2gb ram
ASRock ULI SATA2
Opteron 146 (ocing to 2.8ghz)

thanks so far btw

well for the ram, if you wanna hit those speeds, i suggest the g.skill ddr 500 ram, i've got it and hit 2.8 ghz fairly easy while running the ram at a 1:1 ratio, incredible ram... and nice choice of cpu, i'm loving my opteron 146, i only have it at 2.6 ghz at the moment because my psu sucks, scared of doing anything too power hungry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom