Its built! Any specific order to install drivers/updates?

frldyz

In Runtime
Finaly got the computer built over the weekend. Now I just need to install all the drivers, right?

Windows 7 has been installed. But I have not done any of the updates. I did an update search and it looks like there is something like 180 updates? Wow. But that makes sense considering how old it is.

Is there any ideal or specific order to install all the updated drivers?

Here is the sequence that I thought / safest way that made sense to me. Please correct me.

1. Update all windows 7 180+ updates
2. Install K.P. anti virus software and all updates
3. Update all MOBO ( Gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 drivers ). After indows was installed I was not able to get any internet connect. So I installed the install CD that came with my MOBO. Then I had a connection to the internet. I assume there are updates though for this MOBO.
4. MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G: Install updated drivers? Do I just go to the website for the updated drivers? I think this came with a CD? If yes it did would it be better off to install the CD then update drivers? Or would I be better just going to the website and install everything from there?

Is that all?
Are there updates or anything I need to do to the following?
1. LG optical BLu-Ray drive
2. Rosewill card reader
3. Kingwin FPX-003 fan controller?
4. HGST 4tb HDD
5. Samsung 850 pro 500gb SSD
I assume there is nothing to do with these...?

Thank you for your help

Corsair 760T
Corsair 140 and 120mm fans ( SP and AF )
Corsair 750w HS PSU
Intal i7 4790k CPU
Gigabyte Z97x gaming 3 MOBO
HGST 4tb 7200rpm HDD ( for storage of files )
Samsung 850 pro 500gb SSD ( for O.S and programs )
LG Blu-Ray optical drive
Rosewill card reader
Kingwin FPX-003 card reader
Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler.heatsing
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
Ice Modz custom colored cable
* I think thats everything?

And when getting all these updated drivers. Is it best to install directly from the internet onto this computer? Or is there any advantage to using my other computer and installing on a flash reader then installing on this new computer?

Oh yeah.... I swapped my OEM HDD to a Samsung 850 pro SSD uin my Toshiba laptop. WOW! Only takes 7 seconds to have computer up and running. And 3 seconds to shutdown! I just wonder if my MOBO or CPU is bottle necking the full potential of my SSD. This was a $250 best buy special laptop.
frldyz is online now Report Post

Get updated drivers from Gigabyte's website for your motherboard - don't install off of the CD if at all possible.

Same for GPU, but go directly to nVidia's website. Don't install off of the CD.

After you install all of the relevant drivers for your system, double check in Device Manager to make sure there are no missing drivers for anything (will have a yellow exclamation mark).

Is that all?
Are there updates or anything I need to do to the following?
1. LG optical BLu-Ray drive
2. Rosewill card reader
3. Kingwin FPX-003 fan controller?
4. HGST 4tb HDD
5. Samsung 850 pro 500gb SSD

1. Maybe a firmware update, check LG's site.
2. Possibly a newer driver, you'd have to look up your specific model/the chip it uses
3. Shouldn't be unless it has software controllabe features
4. No
5. Can install Samsung Magician. I'd suggest also going through our SSD Tweak Guide and make sure it's setup correctly: http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/
You can skip the "Enable Write Caching", "Disable Superfetch / Prefetch", and disabling the Defrag/Indexer service steps. Just move the Page File to your 4TB HDD and disable it on your SSD.

And when getting all these updated drivers. Is it best to install directly from the internet onto this computer? Or is there any advantage to using my other computer and installing on a flash reader then installing on this new computer?
Yes, you can just download them all from the internet on your current system and install them. No need to use a flash drive unless you don't have internet connectivity on the new system.

Get updated drivers from Gigabyte's website for your motherboard - don't install off of the CD if at all possible.

I already installed the Gigabyte MOBO CD that came with the MOBO. It was the only way I was able to connect the ethernet nd get an internet connection?

What is the disadvantage from not installing the OEM CD?

Samsung Magician: I read a couple months back ( February? ) that everyone who downloaded Magician had major problems and it would crash the SSD? I thought I also read shortly after that samsung pulled the software from the site? Is it now fixed and safe to download?

Thank you

I already installed the Gigabyte MOBO CD that came with the MOBO. It was the only way I was able to connect the ethernet nd get an internet connection?

What is the disadvantage from not installing the OEM CD?
Updated drivers. I suggest downloading all of the available drivers from Gigabyte's website and installing all updated drivers, to avoid any potential driver issues you could eventually have.

Samsung Magician: I read a couple months back ( February? ) that everyone who downloaded Magician had major problems and it would crash the SSD? I thought I also read shortly after that samsung pulled the software from the site? Is it now fixed and safe to download?

Thank you

I haven't had any issues with the software on my 850 EVO.

Software that comes on the CDs can be bloated and filled with junk, especially motherboard CDs.

Yeah I noticed that my Gigabyte MOBO CD had Norton on it. Aghh... Do I just go to my control panel and programs and un installl all of these unwanted programs?

Better off formatting and starting over. Pretty sure in an article somewhere around here we tell people to download your driver's first. I know I've said it in many threads.

Sent from my D6616

Personally, I think that you would want to install the chipset driver 1st, then followed by the video, sound and lan/wireless.
Get all your Microsoft updates and then install your favorite antivirus and softwares

Back
Top Bottom