Not open for further replies.

dkh

Solid State Member
Current specs:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 at 2.4GHz
3GB (3x1GB) DDR2 800
XFX GeForce 6800 256MB 256-bit Nvidia PCI Express x16
Antec Earthwatts 650 watt PSU (just replaced)
2x 250GB WD 7200RPM HDD
Win7 RC 32bit

I've currently got this hooked up to two 22" monitors (1680x1050) and want to add a third, possibly larger monitor. I don't game at all, but have many apps going at once and average at least 6 hours a day of work (including weekends) at this system per day.

Couple of questions about upgrading...

I know my CPU is a little old, so would you guys suggest replacing it with an Intel Q9650, or would I be better served by replacing the MOBO and CPU together in an upgrade to the 1366 socket and i7?

What is the weak point in my system? What would you replace first?

To power three monitors, should I go with two separate cards, or should I get one of the higher end cards that has two DVI outputs and one HDMI output?

I think you should go with the Q9550 if your going to upgrade your CPU rather than the Q9650 ($100 price difference), but these guys know alot more than me.

As far as I know your motherboard doesn't support any 45nm Core 2's so it will need to be upgraded to get a better cpu.

Taking that into account an i7+x58+DDR3 is proably you best option as far as cpu upgrades are concerned. This combo deal is just abut the cheapest option for a i7 setup with quality components.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Since it includes 6gb of ram you would need to switch to the 64bit version of the Windows 7 RC for it all to be utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom