issues with hd2900pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
feeling impulsive today, so....
ok i am going to buy the Sapphire card (looks like this very day), but first i thought i would check with my tech forums bretheren and make sure everything is okee-dokee:
1) it is compatible with my 590 sli motherboard? obviously, i wont be able to crossfire it.

2) is my PSU up to the task? 34A on the rail and powers my 2 7900gs no problemo with good overclock.

3) compatability issues with DVI and some monitors? i have a BenQ 19" (why didnt i buy a widescreen?!??!)

4) another PSU question...what type of connector? i have heard 6 pin and 8 pin and 2 x 6 pin.
my psu has 2 x 6 pin (obviously sli duh).

5) i need to know quick because my wife is coming home soon and i have to buy it before she gets here....just kidding she will be just as thrilled as i am (sure)
lol "we 'need' it honey....we need it".

cmon boys, chop chop.

EDIT
6) who wants to buy some gently used 7900gs'?

1)should be
2)should be
3)shouldn't be any issues
4)Use 2 X 6 pins
5)dunno how to deal with wive's, ask someone older

okay, well you won't be able to overclock your card through catalyst control center with 2 6 pins.. your going to have to do a paper clip mod if you want to.. which is what i've done with mine.. so i could just have it boot at 750/1800.. instead of flashing the bios

explain that more in depth please...
i am not familiar with catalyst drivers or the catalyst control panel.
so, can i flash the bios and have it run at XT speeds?
paper clip mod? howzat work?
as far as overclocking it, can i use rivatuner or ati tool? would i have to get a new PSU that has (i think) an 8 pin pcie power connector?
what i see as i just googled about the CCC is that it seems to be like the nvidia control panel.
which, if it is, i dont really mind if i cant overclock using it. i never liked the NvCpl...i always used rivatuner.
using rivatuner or ati tool, i should be able to boot at overclocked settings, correct?

no you don't need the 8 pin.. you only need the 2 last pins (ground and something else) if you want to overclock with catalyst control center

you can still oc with ati tool, which is what i do, because CCC can only take you to 850/1800 (which ain't high enough for benchies!)

i think ati tool will allow you to boot with their settings.. i'm not sure i never tried...

and yes, just check my bios flash section and you should be able to do it without problems.. and yes it'll boot at the speeds of the 2900xt.. and will also be recognized as one with 3dmark and all that good stuff

ah darn.. i just wrote a huge thing for you.... but i hit back on my mouse!!

yes you can use ati tool to overclock

you only need to fill all 8 pins if you want to OC through catalyst control center (CCC)

wait a minute! it did post... omg my computer is being retarded.. sorry for the double post

so in all theory...
i should be able to flash the bios to an XT, then perchance overclock it higher than that?
did you find out if bios flash increased the voltage?

from what i've been hearing flashing does not increase the voltage.. i think they both run the same.. but don't quote me on that...

but.... on my pro bios i've taken mine to about 887/1017 or something like that... the xt's themselves are at about the same limit i have reached.. i know i've reached max core.. but i don't know about the memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom