Issues on building my first rig - help please D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaming dan

Baseband Member
Hi,
I am a complete noob to building computers and ive bought all the parts which i was told would be fine by a more experience friend. The problem i have is that i have been able to install the processor on the motherboard but when its put in the case ive got it seems to fill the whole thing even though it is an ATX case and an ATX motherboard. The other problem is that the graphics card i have purchased DOES NOT fit. I am rather confused to this matter and any help would be appreciated. Spec below:

Motherboard: Asus M4A77TD PRO
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Socket AM3 Quad Core Processor
Memory: 4Gb (2X2Gb) Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz Memory - Vdata (doesnt seem to fit?????)
HDD: 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint F2 5400rpm S-ATAII 300 Hard Drive
PSU: 900W Silent ATX PSU
Graphics: 1024Mb nVidia GeForce GT 240 PCI-Express VGA Card (seems far to big and doesnt even come near to fitting)
AND my case is a Raidmax Tornado ATX....

Do i need to buy a different case or i bought something wrong here? :S CONFUSED!!!!!!!
Any help would be thanked :)

The case sounds like its fine, You dont need monstrous amounts of room. Are your sure your putting the PGU into the right PCI slot? Also you are a computer person if you attempt to build your own, try to capitalize the I's...It really helps with how people look at you. Im 13 and because I try to use proper grammar people most likely think that Im older then I really am =).

Hey thanks. Yea im sure it is the right slot as its PCI-Express. The slots on the board dont seem to line up with the slots on the case though... the actual card wont even slot in because the metal part which goes to the rear of the case touches the motherboard... :S

you can buy a different case or mod the one you have to make it work... a dremel tool and about 30 minutes and that'll just about do it ;)

1st off, make sure that you're plugging it into the uppermost PCI-E x16 slot unless directed otherwise by the mobo manual. If you've made certain that you have done so, then try lining up the graphics card with the back slots one lower than before. Try putting the card in by aligning it with the case, rather than with the slot. This may help prevent the card from making contact with the motherboard. If the card touches the motherboard even when snug against the back of the case, it's fine so long as it fits. If it doesn't fit, make sure you're used the right mounting holes for the mobo. That's all that I can think of.
If you've already checked all these things, then yeah, go with the dremel.

You should take pictures as you go, this way you can just post a picture of any problems you might encounter. And you'll have plenty of pictures to post, showing off your new PC, when your finished :thumbsup:

Also you are a computer person if you attempt to build your own, try to capitalize the I's...It really helps with how people look at you. Im 13 and because I try to use proper grammar people most likely think that Im older then I really am =).

people must think i'm younger than i really am then o_O, cuz i never cap my i's... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom