interesting conclusion to an AMD/intel comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: intersting conclusion to an AMD/intell comparison

i dont mind talking about intel, i talk about intel all the time. but i DO mind it turning into a bash-fest. with people picking and choosing statements in the article with no other purpose to re-affirm that intel chips are overall better (sic)faster (like none of us are aware of that), or just to start an argument.
thats what i mind.

i dont mind talking about intel, i talk about intel all the time. but i DO mind it turning into a bash-fest. with people picking and choosing statements in the article with no other purpose to re-affirm that intel chips are overall better (sic)faster (like none of us are aware of that), or just to start an argument.
thats what i mind.

well ya.. thats what i meant

it could be an insightful... knowledgeable post towards something w/ amd and what not.. and people will completely bash it down.. and bring in intel as the hero

can never seem to have a normal amd discussion :(

but i am looking forward to this TLB bug getting solved.. as in the future... i will be helping my brother build a computer.. and i'd love to have him set up w/ an amd/ati rig

The sooner AMD gets back on track and poses a real threat to intel, the faster we'll get better stuff from intel. I dont see why people hate on one company. If theres no competition (like now) there is no reason to innovate or push prices down.

^^heh^^ the whole reason that i posted this article was to show that there IS competition...unfortunately 1/2 the peeps(or more lol) on this forum are too short-sighted to see that.
meh meh meh
i find it hard to believe that yall think that AMD is going to suffer over the desktop market. actually i find that laughable after reading this article.

well ya.. thats what i meant

it could be an insightful... knowledgeable post towards something w/ amd and what not.. and people will completely bash it down.. and bring in intel as the hero

can never seem to have a normal amd discussion :(

but i am looking forward to this TLB bug getting solved.. as in the future... i will be helping my brother build a computer.. and i'd love to have him set up w/ an amd/ati rig

wait for the 9900 to come out, it will be B3 stepping.

^^heh^^ the whole reason that i posted this article was to show that there IS competition...unfortunately 1/2 the peeps(or more lol) on this forum are too short-sighted to see that.
meh meh meh
i find it hard to believe that yall think that AMD is going to suffer over the desktop market. actually i find that laughable after reading this article.

the Phenom has more potential to compete with existing Intel n newer model quad-cores, its just the darn TLB that is resisting it from doing so. Plus, the bug is keeping me from getting a 9600 n 9700 darn it! :(

The sooner AMD gets back on track and poses a real threat to intel, the faster we'll get better stuff from intel. I dont see why people hate on one company. If theres no competition (like now) there is no reason to innovate or push prices down.

a while ago now, it used to be everyone that hated intel, because amd's were better for gaming.

Review on TLB bios patch
Phenom TLB patch benchmarked - The Tech Report - Page 1

Takes about a 14% performance hit overall, and in synthetic memory tests all the way up to 57%.

AMD's other major concern here should be for its reputation. The company really pulled a no-no by representing Phenom performance to the press (and thus to consumers) without fully explaining the TLB erratum and its performance ramifications at the time of the product's introduction.

As we've reported elsewhere, AMD does plan to fix the TLB erratum with a new revision of its quad-core chip due some time in mid-to-late Q1 of 2008. Once the new revision is available, the Phenom 9500 and 9600 will be replaced by the 9550 and 9650, with the -50 suffix denoting the updated silicon and higher performance. Most users will want to wait until those new Phenom models are available before paying full price for a Phenom processor or a system based on one

And I've been thinking this for awhile, this TLB thing should have been spotted long before Phenom was presented publicly and certainly shows that AMD is not on top of things. Let's hope the new revision fixes everything.

that firefox one took a hit badly. will this decrease in perf be fixed in future revisions?

In the new cpu revisions, yes there will be no need for a workaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom