Intel's response to Barcelona....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
"In response to AMD's Barcelona benchmarks Intel demoed its V8 platform. Two quad core Xeons at 3GHz with 16GB RAM score an impressive 4933 pixels per second in POV-Ray. In comparison AMD's quad quad core Barcelona (16 cores total) score just over 4000 pixels per second. Even though AMD did not mention the clockspeed and said the final version will run faster AMD still uses 16 cores while Intel uses 8. Of course Barcelona is not yet a final product, Intel is not impressed though. Besides that Intel also demoed a Penryn which outperformed the current top of the line quad cores by 40%, quite impressive."

[Microprocessor Forum] 8 Intel cores faster than 16 AMD cores!

YouTube - 8 Intel cores faster than 16 AMD 16 cores!

opinions?...

form what i have heard without major revisions to the way they make multicore cpus after 8 cores performance actually drops. so an 8 core should be faster. I think its because the electrons can only go from one chip to another so fast. There is alot of work being done with carbon nanotubes and photonics but it is a few years away from comercial. anyways it incredible to see how high performance this stuff is. either way you go both intel and amd have some pretty meaty next gen chips.

yeah, but these core wars are probably going to go to Intel. Intel has the resources and money for research to continually beat anything AMD can throw at them.

Only way AMD can win is if it continually comes out with better CPU's than Intel. But like I said Intel has more money to spend for better research. AMD just has to rely on revolutionary ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom