Intel Pentium D Price Drop 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
I've been looking into new a Pentium D processor lately and came across this article, which is cited at more than one website. Basically, their introducing a new Pentium D 960 (3.6 GHz) come april 30th...ish. Intel is also planning on cutting their prices drastically to gain market share and increase the number of homes with dual core processors. Hope this wasn't posted already.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/02/14/intel_price_cuts_23_april/

wow.. i guess its the only logical possiblility for intel because people are catching on to the fact that amd exists

also it is kind of smart in the sense that people will get used to the two cores. as strange as this may sound and as horrible as this may be, its almost as though they are giving out a free sample of heroine to get you addicted, and then jack up the price or put it back to normal. Or possibly to grab some budget amd users who will think "wow... amd, whos going to have some trouble ahead, or intel's cheap cheap cheap with goodness ahead (for upgrading).

smart move i would say, but how do they cover the losses... or are they still making "marginal" gains..?

tommyboy123x said:

smart move i would say, but how do they cover the losses... or are they still making "marginal" gains..?

I'm betting they took the risk at developing the dual cores and attempting mass distribution. With any new technology, theirs huge amounts of fiddling to do with it to get it to work the way it was visioned. As of now, the Core Duo seems to be what they invisioned the D's to be, but just didn't have the processing means to do it to make a profit. Business is business, you know? The 9xx D series snuck up on us all without any big media frenzie - even with the 65nm technology. You'd think something like that would make some ripples in the water, but nope. When I first got my 820 D in August of 2005, it was a new new new tehnology that everybody was exited about. Knowing now that it's not a game monster like an AMD, I would have chosen the AMD over it for price and performance. But now it seems they are getting their you-know-what together with the Core Duo and the 9xx series' overclockability. Very cool stuff I think...

regret is the worst thing... the build u posted in the other thread is pretty solid, i'd say its ready to face games. in actuality, the human eye cannot see more than 125fps i think, and the min for it to look like a moving picture (instead of glitchy) is 18 i believe. basically, as long as you are over 25 during games, it is dificult to tell the difference between 50 and 25.. so really gaming with amd and intel is the same

also, intel will have a sweet couple of years while amd gets their head out of the ground and buckles down, so you'll have premo access to those sockets

just dont regret anything, dont look back unless you're analizeing something, lol

tommyboy123x said:
basically, as long as you are over 25 during games, it is dificult to tell the difference between 50 and 25.. so really gaming with amd and intel is the same

I've been seeing alot of talk that says for a first person shooter at least, you need 50+ for it to be optimal. Anything below that (try playing F.E.A.R. around 35 for example) gets irritating. Again though, that's from my experience and I'm pretty convinced my CPU's holding me up. Next up: new motherboard, water cooling and new CPU...

I heard the price slashes were going to be in crap stock that no one was buying and no one was going to buy. Not in their primary processor lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom