Intel Itaniums will skip to 32nm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, after 22nm and 16nm, what they will go to next. I'm guessing it will be pm or picometer, since that is next under nm.

Chips keep getting smaller, much much much smaller, pretty soon we'll have 6x6 inch motherboards with everything on it.... nice and simple... Just put the mobo in, plug n play!

We already have motherboards smaller than that. It's called Pico-ITX, and it's 10cm x 7.2cm

I meant to say like a high performance computer, with GPU, CPU, eveything else necessary built into a 6x6 chip in one solid piece, so essentially, that is the computer.

Chips aren't getting smaller, they are simply decreasing the size of the transistors so they may fit more on a similar sized die as that is the easiest way to increase the processing output of the processors.

yay....more ridiculous overclocking capabilities yet again from Intel.
Transistor size has little to do with the overclocking potential of a batch of CPUs. Because the transistors are smaller, they require less power to operate therefore shouldn't produce as much heat as larger process sizes. Few chips are limited by thermal obstructions though and the overclocking potential of a chip has to do with how well the core is designed, as well as speed binning procedures in the factory. Multiple core processors will become worse over time because the chances of all cores yielding the same speeds are made smaller and smaller the more cores you have to work with.

That said, Itaniums are proprietary pieces of junk that use an outdated 64 bit instruction set that is not capability with native x86 instructions

That said, Itaniums are proprietary pieces of junk that use an outdated 64 bit instruction set that is not capability with native x86 instructions

I dont think Intel plans on just using old tech on something set to launch years from now, and highly doubt that these are pieces of junk to the advancement of computer technology and efficiency standards.

Itaniums are 64 bit processors and only 64 bit processors. Xeons, Opterons, Athlon 64s, Pentium 4s and Core 2s all use the x86-64 instruction set which is backwards compatible with x86-32. Itaniums use what is called IA-64 which is not an x86 instruction, therefore any x86 instructions done on an Itanium, whether 32 or 64 bit, are emulated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom