intel e7400 for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonga

Baseband Member
will this intel core2 duo e7400 processor be called a good cpu in terms of playing the latest and the greatest games of now and the future such as gta4 and the gta 5 which will be coming soon.

if a cpu falls in the minimum requirement of a game then what effect does this have on the game, is the fps decreased ? by how much % ?

Games like GTAIV are highly CPU-intensive. While I don't have much experience with GTAIV myself, an E7400 should at least be adequate for running it on medium - this of course depends on your video card.
is the fps decreased ? by how much % ?
Decreased from what number?
I think a better question to ask would be 'what fps would I expect from an e7400', in which case that again depends on your GPU.

Otherwise the E7400 is a decent CPU, though an E8400 would be a better idea.

most games nowadays are highly GPU intensive. but games like GTA IV are CPU killers. my quad running GTA IV is at about 98% usage most of the time, but i am running it maxed out at 1680x1050. i get good FPS too in the 40-60 range.

paired with the right GPU a e7400 will be a good gaming rig.

Last I checked GTA IV still needs at least a tri-core to run decently. When I run the game I'm constantly getting down to 17fps no matter what settings I use. And I believe my cpu is faster than a stock e7400, though overclocked a e7400 would be faster but still only a dual core. So if getting a intel a would suggest a quad core.

^ no a e2180 3.2ghz MIGHT be equal to or slightly slower than the e7400 at 2.8ghz, the e7400 still has the extra 1mb of cache.

Well I was thinking of the e7300 then at 2.66ghz. But I thought the extra 2mb cache only made the e7xxx ~5% faster clock for clock than a e2xxx in games. But in any case as far as I know neither is very good for GTA IV.

if a cpu falls in the minimum requirement of a game then what effect does this have on the game, is the fps decreased ? by how much % ?
Under minimum requirements means that you will have a hard time trying to run the game. It will not be fun.

Over keeping in mind, it more that just the CPU. It's also the GPU. I have seen some people try putting in a chop notch video card into a slower system to help improve performance. However don't expect too much as the GPU will still require assistance from the CPU.

It's like a slow car. A slow car will still be slow car even if you put a turbo into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom