Intel Core 2 Extreme + Picking a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
Hello. I'm new here at the tech forums and I just wanted to get some input and ask some questions.

I am planning on building a computer this summer. It will be my first build.
Some basics: I will play games on it - probably not the highest graphics games, but some. I will do some photoshop work and various other projects.

My main reason for building a computer is I need one for college next year and I want the experience of building my own. Money is not a huge issue - I am willing to spend up to $1500 if I need to, but obviously I'd like to keep the price down. I realize that I don't need the greatest specs, but I want stuff that I can brag about .

From the research I've done, I am planning to get a 8800GT as my video card, and I was planning on getting an Intel Q9300 as my processor.

But I have recently been presented with an alternative.

Newegg sells the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 for just over $1,000. I have the opportunity to buy this, brand new, for $240. The Q9300 is $275 on Newegg right now. So here is my dilemma: I will be staying in a dorm next fall. I want to keep the computer as cool and quiet as possible, and I don't want it to be too much of a power hog.

Is it a fair assumption that the QX6850 will run hotter and use more power than a Q9300?

Will the QX6850 require a different motherboard that could possibly be more expensive?

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
(Note: I do not NEED the Extreme, but it's such a good deal...)
And if I went with the Extreme, I assume I would need to buy extra cooling components?

Any help is much appreciated.

Also: I am not interested in overclocking anything. I simply have no need to do so, and I have heard the advantages and disadvantages of both sides, and I have decided not to OC.

You can get it Brand New for $240? amazing!! Get it

the Q9300 does run cooler, but it sucks at overclocking because of its low Multiplier, in fact the q9300 requires a better board if you want to overclock because its 45nm and its crap overclocking ability

get the QX6850 with an Arctic Freezer pro 7, it'll keep it cool maybe a DFI LanParty DK p35 board if you don't want SLI

Yeah, that's a great deal for that cpu. Even if you don't want it you can probably resell it and make some extra money too.

You're right he could probably sell it for a profit, but make sure you're not buying an e6850

It would be very illegal for me to sell it for a profit - I am only eligible for it because of Intel's Retail Program.

Also - I am not interested in overclocking anything. I simply have no need to overclock, and I have heard that it will void any manufacturer warranties.

the Q9300 does run cooler, but it sucks at overclocking because of its low Multiplier, in fact the q9300 requires a better board if you want to overclock because its 45nm and its crap overclocking ability

get the QX6850 with an Arctic Freezer pro 7, it'll keep it cool maybe a DFI LanParty DK p35 board if you don't want SLI

What is SLI? The motherboard is one thing that I have absolutely NO idea what to get. I've done research and heard a lot of opinions on graphics cards and processors, but what should I be looking for in a board?

But overclocking can be undone really easily, and the Manufacturer won't know you did overclock unless you took overclocking too far and got selfish

Plus people who paid less cash than you did on that one CPU will get better performance because they overclocked, overclocking really is the best bang for the buck option out there, you could make a cheap system perform like a high-end build for much less

Well I guess I will consider overclocking in the future... but for now I just want to build this and see how everything runs. The point is that I really don't need a quad core processor, and I doubt I will need to overclock.

I will keep an open mind about it though, but I do not want "overclockability" to be part of my decision making.

Does SLI have to do with having dual video cards? If so, I guess I do not really care about that at the moment - I'd like to keep my options open in the future, but if I'll have to spend an extra $50 for a board that has SLI, then I don't need it.

So you think something like the Arctic Freezer Pro 7 will keep it plenty cool? Tbh I didn't expect something like that to only be $25 - I'd be perfectly willing to pay for that if it will keep it cool.
What will I be looking at in terms of noise? I'm not sure what components usually make the most noise... I've heard the 8800GT can be quite loud - if I get a better cooler for that, should I be fine?

Anything that has a fan or spins will make noise. To cut down on noise it's better to get bigger fans that spin at lower rpm. Plus bigger fans will usually be able to move more air and cut down on heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom