Intel Bloomfield Motherboard, Up Close and Personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Source

Note the skull in between the PCIe and PCI slots.

In the fourth quarter of this year Intel's Nehalem family will be introduced and as that three month period is closing in fast, more info about the processors and platforms is coming up. After the couple of CPU pictures, motherboards are now in the spotlight with an early Bloomfield board being pictured just below. Bloomfield will be release in Q4 together with the Nehalem server parts and it will be a triple DDR3 channel-supporting high-end workstation/gaming system platform.

As you can see in the pictures the Bloomfield motherboard has a 1366-pin socket, four DDR3-1333 slots, three of which being colored blue to signal the tri-channel support and two PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots, likely bringing CrossFire to Intel's platform. The only heatsink installed is the one covering the ICH10 southbridge while the Tylersburg NB is left 'naked'. Also, you can see the lack of IDE connectors but six SATA 3.0 Gbps ports and an oddly-placed MOLEX connector. Since Bloomfield is still some 6 months or more away this board should be considered an early sample with the 'best' being still to come.

Intel_Bloomfield_board_01.jpg

Intel_Bloomfield_board_02.jpg

Intel_Bloomfield_board_03.jpg

Looks kinda plain, they need a black PCB and blue pci slots. And why is the skull so important? Skull trail?

It's only a sample or prototype. I'm sure there will be black PCBs or whatever, for the enthusiasts.

The skull is not important, just something I noticed, that's different.

What exactly is the obsession with black PCB's? Another thing i have to wonder, what happens when you put in that 4th stick of memory. If these things are setup to run memory in 3's, why even add the 4th slot. Also will ram manufacterers start putting out triple matched sets like they do now with matched pairs?

Yes, but $30 is $30 either way you look at it. I could use that $30 for my gas :p

yeah but you could spend $30 on it, copy a few dvd moves and sell them to friends to get the $30 back you paid for it

well thats what i did anyway

on topic, you do this to torment me right:p

this looks promising but by the time i get my current build and run it for it's life span (4-5 years) the next big thing after this will be out (or very close)

ha i've already jumped from a single to a quad core skipping dual core's

^^^Never thought of that, haha thanks for the idea.

Back on topic, I am planning on building a new comptuer with the 790i board from Nvidia, but do you think that it would be smarter to wait for then new socket boards to come out and get a Nehalem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom