Intel beating AMD at their own game. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Intel beating AMD at their own game.

there was only a perceived difference with onboard graphics being inferior...but people didn't realize the onboards were meant as just a fall back for techs and admins, one less thing to worry about when setting up a system.

like the old intels that came out with the amazing "mmx" extensions, hehe. That was when 3d accel cards caught on and the mmx, though used now, are just a part of the cpu and not something marketed for graphics enhancing

They just remained basic and rudimentary

a Good Tech Read:

professional and objective news sources without all the pretentiousness is always the best to go

even if some of it is speculative

I think it's all intel and nvidia now, to me ati/amd has lost it...but that is also not me talking of opinion...I have stated this before and it is just a repeat of the amd/ati execs, their focu is no longer about performance. However, that could be a ruse play...never know

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

OMG, AMD has some issues right now. They had better roll out the quad core Opterons. I mean right now!!!!! Man, there was even "rumors" of cutting 5% of their workforce which comes out to about 800 workers at AMD due to the companies struggles.

They totally blew it. The new Opterons were suppose to have been released last year, but the delayed production plus the delayed launch due to a bug really hurt AMD big time. Their server chips are really good and it's helping AMD keep afloat, but this is a blow.

Good news with AMD? Quad core Opterons, Tri Core, Quad Core Phenoms are out--finally. Plus, their OEM support are tons strong and haven't lost anybody yet.

I hope they have no more bad quarter............otherwise, they're in serious, serious trouble!!!!!!

I don't have a specific bias towards Intel or AMD as I like both companies. I just happen to choose which ever CPU is the best at the moment and I'm sorry to say, Intel is kicking AMDs butt.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

Maybe it would be a good idea to buy some AMD stock while their down. I'm sure their bounce back sooner or later. Since Intel can't pound them into the ground for fear of a forced Monopoly split up.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt

AMD doesn't even have the whole budget build field anymore.

That article that you posted, they sound like they are Intel fans. Just the way the article sounds to me.

"Intel will also release their own version and hopefully, beat AMD at it's own game."
Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

wow sounds like something Maroon would write jk

but you're right seems kind of Intel Biased
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 03-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

As far as onboard graphics cards go, Nvidia and ATI have better performance.

It's one thing to make GPU's on-chip. It's another thing for them to have enough performance for descent game play.

So far I think 780G is on top with performance. Then there will be 790GX
Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Okitasoshi

yeah AMD just struck back on integrated board graphics, idk why CPU/GPU would be so great. I guess it might be good if it worked with onboard graphics as well.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

i think the best news for techs on forums would be XtremeSystems Forums - Powered by vBulletin

they have news that i just plain don't even see here...
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic tofu View Post
there was only a perceived difference with onboard graphics being inferior...but people didn't realize the onboards were meant as just a fall back for techs and admins, one less thing to worry about when setting up a system.

like the old intels that came out with the amazing "mmx" extensions, hehe. That was when 3d accel cards caught on and the mmx, though used now, are just a part of the cpu and not something marketed for graphics enhancing

They just remained basic and rudimentary

a Good Tech Read:

professional and objective news sources without all the pretentiousness is always the best to go

even if some of it is speculative

I think it's all intel and nvidia now, to me ati/amd has lost it...but that is also not me talking of opinion...I have stated this before and it is just a repeat of the amd/ati execs, their focu is no longer about performance. However, that could be a ruse play...never know
Lets roll back to when Amd was clobbering the **** outa Intel. (athlon 64 vs prescott p4) Its like a race, yeah intel is in the lead now but that doesnt mean that 2-3 years from now, Amd cant whoop them again.

Thats what many people fail to realize, they look at how companies are doing right now, but forget about what they've done before. Intel has always been the bigger company with more $$$ and higher prices. yet Amd was known as the "Gamers choice" for a long time, longer than intel has been from what i remember.

Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx

Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanflow View Post
Lets roll back to when Amd was clobbering the **** outa Intel. (athlon 64 vs prescott p4) Its like a race, yeah intel is in the lead now but that doesnt mean that 2-3 years from now, Amd cant whoop them again.

Thats what many people fail to realize, they look at how companies are doing right now, but forget about what they've done before. Intel has always been the bigger company with more $$$ and higher prices. yet Amd was known as the "Gamers choice" for a long time, longer than intel has been from what i remember.
That's one of the reasons I don't like Intel. They charged a lot more for products that weren't as good as they should have been, misled people with GHZ (Pentium 4), and threw advertising at people like there was no tomorrow. They sold a lot more of an inferior product at a higher price.

At one point, basically the only thing the average jo would look for in a PC was "Pentium 4" - even though they had no idea what that meant.