Intel beating AMD at their own game. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Intel beating AMD at their own game.

This is good information on what's to come, if it hasn't already been posted. I do notice one thing about this forum compared to all the other computer forums around: this forum is always, ALWAYS one step ahead of everyone else when it comes to news.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you have heard, AMD Fusion is a project that will merge CPU/GPU function together on the same processor. Intel will also release their own version and hopefully, beat AMD at it's own game. The chips are reportedly planned for Q2 2009, which would put it ahead of AMD's planned launch of Fusion in the second half of 2009.

This is the next big phase in the computer technology industry as it gives compeition to graphic card makers. The processors are being developed under the code names "Havendale" (desktop processor) and "Auburndale" (mobile processor). Intel will combine its forthcoming Nehalem processor with a next-generation graphics processor from its current G45 chip.

The G45 is a decent performer. Check this out, it will have support for DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0 as well as HD decoding and HDMI, Displayport, and DVI ports.

The architectural designs show Havendale/Auburndale as a dual-core processor with integrated graphics and a 4MB cache for the two cores.

Havendale will use a new desktop-socket design, LGA-1160, and Auburndale will use the new mPGA-989 mobile socket. The desktop chip will have a 75-watt power envelop, while the mobile part will be between 45 and 55 watts.

It's quite a change for Intel to react to something AMD still has in the labs. It was dismissing 64-bit x86 extensions back when AMD first introduced them, then belatedly came to market a few years later with 64-bit chips.

後藤弘茂のWeekly海外ニュース

"Intel is never going to let AMD get too far ahead of them again"

Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Intel beating AMD at their own game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla1
I do notice one thing about this forum compared to all the other computer forums around: this forum is always, ALWAYS one step ahead of everyone else when it comes to news.
This is not entirely true. For me, overclock.net is usually on top of the news. They have a dedicated section of the forum, for hardware, sofware, and industry news. And that's also where I usually get my news from.

It would also be good to state the source, of where you got this information from.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I can tell you the source is reliable. Not from a forum like overclockers.net or any other forums. Some sites like Xbit, Inquirer, forums don't generally give accurate info. or for the most part, general speculation and opinions. Anandtech gives good info too, but they are generally behind on the latest info. The link above is just one of the links I pulled. The other is top secret. Well, it's the IT newsletter I get from work.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

I've read this from somewhere before, forgot where though.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah, it's pretty good stuff they got coming. I like to see how the benchmark holds up on these new gen integrated graphics.

There could be a potential to improve a lot on this too. You think it could be a threat to graphics card makers like nvidia and ATI? Man, that's something to ponder.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Biohazardous

I doubt nvidia and ati will be put at jeopardy so early. They still have the top of the line. But maybe we will see a gpu, with cpu/gpu. Like the hybrid sorta?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Camera junky

i just hope they keep producing chips that dotn have integrated gfx, because for now it wont do any good considerign how powerfull current cards are, and i dotn want to have to buy a cpu with integrated gfx on it, its a waste of a core. with cards like the 3870x2 and the 9800gx2 i see there being a duel core/ quad core gpu on one die before there is a high end gpu/cpu.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

so how would this differ from onboard graphics in terms of performance? It would be interesting if it could be able to run modern games, but if it is just an alternative to integrated graphics then it wont change anything. Will still need a card from ATI/nvidia to play games.

Sig by Nosboost300
Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

maybe it'll just be mainstream.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

I would think there has got to be a performance increase since the data path has just been reduced significantly by integrating it with the CPU. Kind of like what memory controllers did with the new CPUs. If Intel really makes this full blown into competition with graphics cards, they'll probably be hit with another lawsuit with monopolizing the graphics industry, lol.