Intel or AMD for cheap gaming rig?

Reapt

In Runtime
Might build my girl a cheap gaming rig. She plays CS:GO and ESO with me but currently on a Mac >.>. I want something around 500-800. Including monitor and peripherals. I'm an intel fanboy majorly, and I build computers all the time. I just want some opinions on if I should do an AMD build to save some bucks or worth it to go with the intel builds with the added cost.

The best AMD CPU to go with for the money is the 8350 and for that kind of money you can get the i5 4440 which is superior in gaming. That being said for 500-800 including monitor and periphs you're looking at FX6300/i3 territory.

I hate AMD. As stated earlier lol. But do you think I could build a more powerful gaming comp for that price with AMD? Their chips are so much cheaper and the radeons are compared to nvidia a as well.

I hate AMD. As stated earlier lol. But do you think I could build a more powerful gaming comp for that price with AMD? Their chips are so much cheaper and the radeons are compared to nvidia a as well.

They are for a reason. Like I stated before and proved to another guy sevreal times the 4440 and 8350 are typically identical in price but in a gaming box the i5 will walk all over the 8350 day and night. Single threaded performance will always be where it's at for gaming.

Not necessarily true. The 280x, 290, and 290x are all grossly overpriced due to mining making the 770 and 780 the go to cards for the money currently. Although admittedly because of the above overpricing the 770 and 780 are slightly overpriced IMO too, but not as bad. Like I was telling the other guy, the 280x and 770 should both be about $275 new right now but they aren't.

Back on topic though, honestly it's really up to you. Like I put before you're looking at having an i3 or an FX6300 for the money. Personally, I would get an i3 because later on down the road you have an upgrade path whereas with AMD you have the 8350 and you're stuck. Cue above statement about performance. The i3 4130 will rock the games she wants easily. For the GPU you can start her out with something like a 750ti or if doable a 760.

When you say mining do you mean bit coin mining? Why would they need GPU's? Wouldn't better processors serve them better?

No, GPGPU is much faster at parallel processing than CPU. Due to nerfed DP performance on Nvidia cards the miners flock to AMD since they have a higher hash value.

Yes I mean bitcoin mining.

Back
Top Bottom