Installing new HDD and moving old to external back up drive.
I have a 250Gb hard drive installed in my computer. I want to upgrade to a 500Gb or larger drive and was thinking I could use the 250 for a back up drive.
What all do I have to do to make this exchange? Here is what I am thinking, check to see if I am forgetting anything.
- Save all files, music and video to discs or flash drives.
- remove old HDD
- install new HDD
- Format and partition new HDD
- install Windows on new HDD
- install drivers
- install firewall, anti-virus, programs, games and other software as needed
- save files, music and video from discs to new HDD
- scrub and format old HDD to be used as backup drive.
A couple of questions:
1) Can I re-use my old Windows XP disc on a new HDD since it is still being used on the same computer?
2) Do I have to delete out my old HDD before it is re-formatted?
3) Am I missing anything?
Xion XON-180 Case
OCZ ModXStream 600w 50A on +12V
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 AM3+ mobo
AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz [stock heatsink]
2 x 4Gb DDR3 1866 G.Skill Sniper RAM
Corsair GT 60Gb SATA3 SSD
Evga GTX 465 GPU
Windows 7 Premium