installing new computer on existing system

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

I'm installing a new motherboard on my system because my existing mobo crapped out. Am I going to experience any trouble with Windows Vista SP2 when I switch out the motherboard? Not sure if it's going to report to Microsoft that it's on a different mainboard now or not(giving them piracy suspicions?).

I was thinking I should probably delete the drivers for the Onboard LAN, Audio, IDE controllers, etc. before I shut it down for the last time before I install the new motherboard. I don't see any reason to keep those drivers?

I'm certain I put too much thermal paste on the CPU last time, I've read that a person should spread the thermal grease very, very thin to the point where you can almost see through it. Good practice or no?

Is there anything else I'm missing or that I should do?

EDIT: The title was supposed to be "new motherboard on existing system". My brain is rattled today.

Yeah it could get a bit buggy on you. You may need to do a repair install to clean it up. If possible I would do a clean install. You can always call microsoft to reactivate after all of the "virus" problems you had.

He probably means tell them that so they don't give you problems with activating the windows. I don't know if they do but I think they used to consider a new motherboard as a new computer. And I'm guessing thats what he is talking about.

Oh, my bad, I understand now. I guess I never really thought about when he had virus in quotes. I'll see if I can get by without having to call them, hopefully I can. If not I'll use that excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom