Input appreciated re: new build list

Status
Not open for further replies.

canusa53

Baseband Member
Hey Folks,

Waiting to hear back from shop on condition of the hp tower and its mobo but til then I further researched and stepped up prepping for the new build I want to try my hand at. Will keep hp for bit longer if I don't have to sink much money in it or can be repaired easily. Did not plan on building this soon but will if the situation so warrants. In any event, I am preparing to build a system and have the following criteria and notions in mind:

1-Future proof as best as I can without breaking the bank or being entirely daft

2-A video/photo editing machine. Have been getting further into photography and want to create more with video.

3-Media center for TV, movies, music

4-Mid range gaming (il sturmovik, flight combat games, etal) Though not a full on gamer I want flexibility and opportunity to move up if desired.

While not computer literate I have learned a fair bit and wish to learn more. The hardware makes more sense to me than some software and the navigation of such and I'll likely be reaching out to these forums when it comes time to setting everything up for a lot assistance in that arena. Until then, any input on the following list is appreciated and let me know if it is overkill or whether I should place an emphasis (money or thought) elsewhere.

I started with a couple of lists some guys at the local NCIX were kind enough to create from my criteria. I investigated these items, used some but added and tweaked them until I came up with what seems to be what I am aiming for. I have a budget of about 2 grand, give or take. I am basing the cost on NCIX since they are literally a stones throw away from my abode and help if needed.

Why am I doing this? To see if I can, to understand computers better and create something great for the years to come.

The build--

Case-Fractal Design R3 Mid tower
Pwr- SeaSonic 860XP Platinum
Mobo- ASUS Sabertooth P67 LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge
RAM - Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR1600 (for editing purposes)
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600 Quad core LGA 1155
SSD - OZC Vertex 3 120 GB 2.5 in SATA3
HDD - (2 for video storage, bkup and likely RAID 0 config, if I understand it correctly)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64 MB
Video - eVGA GeForce GTX580
Blu-ray- LG BH12Ls35 3d playback
Optical- LG GH24NS90 Writer/Burner

Thanks for the tips, ideas and experience in advance.

i see a lot of room for improvement... what is your budget and where are you going to be purchasing your parts from? NCIX?

it's hard to help a lot without knowing the budget. but if you will be photo and videoing more than the latest games, youll be best with a more powerful cpu over the most expensive gpu (which you currently seem to have both.) if you want to take advantage of the ssd even more, upgrade to a z68 mb.

Actually, the cpu is all he needs, well other than getting the k verson.

The 580 is a beast, but if you got/want it giver.

You have a stellar power supply, but it could be dropped in size for a bit of saVings, and physical size.

The budget is mentioned at $2000 or there abouts. What kind of improvements? Please explain. Yet "patonb" you seem to say it is some overkill on the video card. Might you suggest............

By the way another criteria I failed to mention is a desire for the system to on the quiet side, if not silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom