Incredibly long upgrade post

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosphorousgobu

Baseband Member
Hey all. I've posted a few questions on here before, primarily relating to motherboard upgrades and whatnot. I'm thinking about doing a major system overhaul, but I hate myself for doing it. I spent soo much money on my current system without doing any real research beforehand, and I'm feeling the effects of it now. Spending another $900+ isn't going to feel good...But enough of that. The way I see it, I can give most of my current compy to my sister. Yah, it'll probably never use the full potential of its ATI x850 pro, but oh well. They use dial up internet (AOL) on a **** Windows 98 box. The computer takes forever to load and is slower than b*lls because it is an old eMachine. "AOL for Broadband/Computers less than 3 years old" is a b**** on any computer with Win 98, which is why I'm going to sacrifice my computer to my family. I pray they keep SpySweeper/Norton updated, I'll be mighty ****ed if I come home on fall break and find it blogged down (that's your pun for the day ^_^ ) with spyware....but anyways. Pretty much the only components I will salvage from that computer are my 160 Gig hard drive, chock full of my PC games that I REALLY don't want to reinstall on new hard drive, my Logitech G5 mouse, and my crusty ole eMachine keyboard, UNLESS YOU dawgs know of any reasonably priced gaming keyboards? Maybe? I hate playing CS and my pinky crapping up (another pun, on "Cramping") when I crouch with Ctrl for an extended period of time). Plus, I'd lose my Quake III nightmare victories, and I worked hard for those. Except for that darn Xaero with the rail gun...b-tard. ANyhoo again, I've been looking around and I wish to put my hard drive into a NEW box with a NEW mobo and a NEW processor. Apparently, this is very possible thru the XP Repair install. Fine. So, looking at NewEgg.com, I see some candidates here:

Processor: My socket 747 (or whatev) seems to suck. Or maybe it's my ATI card? Either way, I want a 939 dis time)

Something like the Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000 MHz HT SOcket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX-Retail looks nice...$297 is a little steep, but it IS 64bit/dual core.

The AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail looks okay, for $235, but it ain't X2/dual core

Thoughts? Recommendations?What do you guys think is a good SOcket 939 processor?

MoBo: I have an ASUS K8v SE Deluxe right now. I'm still perplexed as to why I have only THREE memory slots....

The ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail looks okay..Maybe a little pricey tho..Any suggestions as to a GOOD mobo? A BadA** motha MoBo would be nice, but I'd also like to know of good moderate/budget priced candidates as well

Video Card: My x850 pro ran Half-Life 2 perfectly, I'm happy with that. However, Counter-Strike with the fancy effects and bots=choppy framerates :( . Battlefield 2 does something similar. Empire Earth 2 is choppy as balls once the AI starts a building their massive continent-encompassing empires, and F.E.A.R. isn't perfect. So, I'm thinking maybe nVidia this time? I'm also thinking PCI Express, too. I want to burn things. But not my motherboard, heat management is a concern too.

This XFX PVT43GNDF3 Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail thingy LOOKS like a good deal, with the 500 Mhz clock and the $119 price tag, but I'm suspicious. What do you guys think a good PCIe nVidia card is?

Case: I realize the case a PC builder uses is a reflection of her/his soul and is a statement of individuality that should be unhindered by little things like air flow and heat management. Unfortunately, the $100+ case I bought at best buy was a piece, to say the least. The power cables (white thingies that plug into hard drive, etc.) were very cheaply made and the wires inside would sort of fall out the back of the plug. Crappy and potentially lethal. The door sucks too. It wants to fall off, the hinges are poorly made, and the little snap door for the front USB ports snapped off.

The NZXT Lexa Black/ Silver Aluminum Construction Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500 WATT PS2 ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Retail looks pretty hard core, but oddly shaped. What I need is a..well, I don't care about size/shape, really, although I will be taking this to college. Convenient size/shape would be nice, but not necessary. Laptops? "F that, I said". I'm a hard core Desktoppin' thug all da way. So, yeah. I need a case that is has efficient design/airflow, and I would PREFER if it had a nice, big fan that was maybe a LITTLE bit quieter than some of the smaller hair-dryer sounding ones. I don't like cheap materials either. Looks are important too ^_^ Any suggestions?

I also need a flat panel. I'm a hard corps PC thug, but carrying a 17+ inch CRT monitor up stairs don't sound fun. If I even have to go up stairs, I don't know yet. Ideally, I could use one of those funky LAN harnesses that you carry your tower, monitor, cables+mouse+keyboard in, all in one hand. (oy, that'd be heavy tho. Us thugs is hard, tho.) Darn, these panel things are expensive. Craps. Alright, I don't care about screen size (tho a 19"er would be nice). Any goodly-priced suggestions?

Also, any keyboard suggestions? My pinky hates crouching (ctrl) or Quake railgunning (Zoom=Shift) for long periods, whislt moving with WSAD. Uncomfortable.

(huff, heave). Sorry for being so typey. Maybe this will be your novella for the day or something. So, any suggestions/comments on any of this hardware, motherboard upgrades (that don't kill your Windows Installation/Hard drive), or anything else you guys/gals think I need to know would be greatly appreciated. Arigato gozaimasu.

The ASUS mobo you suggested is a mighty fine mobo. I recommend that one. However, if you are looking to squeeze a couple pennies, then perhaps another mobo would be best. In my last 2 systems I have used Gigabyte mobos. Both of which were inexpensive, but very reliable. I actually use the Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI in my current system.

As for a CPU, go with the 3800 X2. As more and more software supports dual core, you are going to be better off getting a dual core now.

eVGA seems to be one of the more reputable manufacturers of nvidia cards. If you were looking for a budget card that is going to play all new games at really nice settings, go for a 7600GT.

As for an LCD, I recommend the Samsung 193p. It's a 19" with 8ms refresh rate and 1000:1 contrast ratio. It's $450 locally, but I couldnt find it on newegg.

Hope that helps:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom