Increase RAM Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
What does increasing the ram voltage do? Do you have to do that to the ram when you're OCing the ram like you do when OCing a cpu?

I have 2x1gb of crucial ballistix, but im not sure what voltage theyre at. newegg says default is 2.2v maybe? or maybe thats max voltage....can someone please tell me what i should do?

Most motherboards set the ram voltage at the bare minimum, usually 1.8 volts which is fine if you dont plan to overclock. I'm running at .2+ just to make sure i stay stable. You can use cpu-z to see what the voltage is actually at.

i dont see the ram voltage in cpuz, just the cpu voltage, which page is it on?

To set the Crucial Ballistix, to it's manufacture's spec, set the RAM voltage to +0.4v....Right now it would say Normal, correct? The normal is the standard, which is 1.8v like veedubfreak mentioned. So 1.8 + 0.4 = 2.2v

To set the Crucial Ballistix, to it's manufacture's spec, set the RAM voltage to +0.4v....Right now it would say Normal, correct? The normal is the standard, which is 1.8v like veedubfreak mentioned. So 1.8 + 0.4 = 2.2v

thanks b1gapl, so would/should i ever go higher than 2.2v or will that fry the ram?

I don't think it's necessary, because on stock voltage, they're capable of going DDR2-1200 CAS5. Anymore voltage, like 2.3 and 2.4 won't fry, but it won't last long.

The rule of thumb with voltage is to use as little as needed to remain stable. I'm running my memory at 5-5-5-15 and 2.0 volts and it seems to be stable right now. If i could just figure out how much voltage i need to get my core stable at 3.6 :) It crapped out on me at 1.3v when i played around with it at lunch.

The rule of thumb with voltage is to use as little as needed to remain stable. I'm running my memory at 5-5-5-15 and 2.0 volts and it seems to be stable right now. If i could just figure out how much voltage i need to get my core stable at 3.6 :) It crapped out on me at 1.3v when i played around with it at lunch.

hahah thanks, 3.6 on a q6600......****. i head the q6's can take up to 1.5v though so you got some room to run.

on another note, should i put my ratio at 4:5 to give my ram a little more speed or keep it at 1:1 (theyre at 950mhz cas 5 now....)

I would back it down to 1:1 until you get a stable overclock on the CPU. Thats what i plan to do. Once i can get my CPU dialed in where i want it i'll start dialing in the memory.

I would back it down to 1:1 until you get a stable overclock on the CPU. Thats what i plan to do. Once i can get my CPU dialed in where i want it i'll start dialing in the memory.

yeah thats probably a good rule of thumb. I'm pretty sure my cpu is stable, it passes orthos for 6+ hours, but my system is still unstable, so im guessing its the ram since orthos doesnt test ram much if at all. ive adjusted my ram settings, it was at 1.8v 5-5-5-17 (?) and changed it to 2.2v w/ 5-5-5-15 and it seems to be working fine now........but will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom