I'm very confused with my rams. which one to choose!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krnstyle

Beta member
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to upgrade the RAM for my old desktop computer.
According to CPU-Z, I have 2x512mb (pc 3200 200mhz) in slot A and C.

Now here is my question, I'm thinking of buying 2x1gb (pc 3200 200mhz) so i can have total of 3gb ram memory.

would It work or should I just buy 2x512mb (pc 3200 200mhz) to have 2gb.

Give me the best suggestion thanks.

My mobo is Asus p4p800 (regular no delux)

Please reply me back PPL!!!

i would say stick with two because another gig won't offer a big improvement in speed and with 2 gb (4 x 512) you will still be able to use dual channel.

i would say stick with two because another gig won't offer a big improvement in speed and with 2 gb (4 x 512) you will still be able to use dual channel.

So with 2x1gb ram, I cannot use dual channel?

+ I know dual channel is better than single but I don't know how it works haha. sorry

well u could but it would cost you more probably. Dual channel is usually done by putting two (or 4) of the same type of ram (1gb 800, 512 200) is the same coloured socket. There are exceptions to this though for different mobos.

well u could but it would cost you more probably. Dual channel is usually done by putting two (or 4) of the same type of ram (1gb 800, 512 200) is the same coloured socket. There are exceptions to this though for different mobos.

Ok so I better stick with 2x512mb to have full dual channel.

ok here is my last question.

As I posted I have 2x512mb in A and C slots and already dual channeled (looking at cpu-z) . So If i have 2x1gb in B and D slots, that would be dual channel too isn't it?

So you are saying 2x512mb and 2x1gb can't be shared because its not

4x512mb?

no, all the ram sticks have to be the same specs, you can have 2x1gb (dual channel will provide more of an increase with this then 4x512) or 4x512 with one chip in each slot.

no, all the ram sticks have to be the same specs, you can have 2x1gb (dual channel will provide more of an increase with this then 4x512) or 4x512 with one chip in each slot.

So what are you guys recommending? 2x1gb (3gb total) or 2x512b (2gb total)

2x1gb is $15 more than 2x512mb so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom