I'm torn between ATI and Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgroovin

HONK if you route packets
So, I want to get back into gaming but would like to pack a better punch in my box. My board fried (ASUS Crosshair), so this will allow me to have a little more freedom on compatibility with video cards in the future and more slots. I was thinking of going SLI or Crossfire but just can't make up my mind. I've done some searching on here and on other sites. What are some pros to Crossfire versus SLI? What about going with 4 cards?

What would all of you recommend through your experiences?

So you had an Asus Crosshair? that a 590a nForce... so are you reusing your AMD CPU?

because if you are getting a new board you might be using a new CPU for all I know, but HD 4850 is killing in terms of bang for the buck

Since you are keeping you AMD processor I recommenced getting a 790gx motherboard which supports crossfire. I'm no expert on AMD motherboards but from what I have heard this motherboard should be a good overclocker since it has the new SB750 south bridge.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Crossfire generally scales better than sli and allows you to use multiple monitors (sli is supposed to be able to use multiple monitors at some point in the future).Plus ATi's new cards have better price/performance than most of their nvidia competitors.

if you have enough funds to get a dual card setup then you have enough to move to the core 2 platform.

I would go for a mobo/cpu upgrade along with a single GPU setup like a 4850.....the FX62 is pretty old school and you'll be cpu bottlenecked with dual card setups of today's cards.

Then a 790gx is fine.. but don't dual-card, HD 4850 is good enough for most games today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom