I'm really worried about my PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

IridetheShortBus

Baseband Member
I dunno, I'm now kinda worried.. at first I thought it'd be great to spend $50 on a power supply.. but now I'm kind of worried it could give out on me and fry my $900 pc.. do I really have anything to worry about?

It's the Xclio Goodpower 500w.. I've heard it will do fine.. but will it do good enough that I hardly have to worry about it powering me? My rig :

Q6600
P35-DS3R
8800 GTS 320MB
320GB 7200.10 HD
2 GIGS CRUCIAL DDR2-800
antec 900 if that matters.. cuz fans?

?

Most recommend the Corsair 520HX, but does that 20 watts really make it worth $60 more? That was my reasoning for not buying the corsair and going with the xclio cuz it was so close in wattage and $60 less.. did I make a mistake and should return it.. or will it have NO problems whatsoever..

Mind you, I hardly plan overclocking anything.. if I do overclock, the max I'll reach is prolly 3.0 ghz.. would I be completely fine? If it really did come down to numbers, what would be the max I could OC before really pushing it? Is there a program that actually shows how much wattage I'm using? So I could know if I'm at like 480 watts I should back down a little bit or something of that nature.. thanks so much

I dunno, I'm now kinda worried.. at first I thought it'd be great to spend $50 on a power supply.. but now I'm kind of worried it could give out on me and fry my $900 pc.. do I really have anything to worry about?

It's the Xclio Goodpower 500w.. I've heard it will do fine.. but will it do good enough that I hardly have to worry about it powering me? My rig :

Q6600
P35-DS3R
8800 GTS 320MB
320GB 7200.10 HD
2 GIGS CRUCIAL DDR2-800

?

Most recommend the Corsair 520HX, but does that 20 watts really make it worth $60 more? That was my reasoning for not buying the corsair and going with the xclio cuz it was so close in wattage and $60 less.. did I make a mistake and should return it.. or will it have NO problems whatsoever..

Mind you, I hardly plan overclocking anything.. if I do overclock, the max I'll reach is prolly 3.0 ghz.. would I be completely fine? If it really did come down to numbers, what would be the max I could OC before really pushing it? Is there a program that actually shows how much wattage I'm using? So I could know if I'm at like 480 watts I should back down a little bit or something of that nature.. thanks so much

what part about watts don't matter much, the amps on the dual 12v are what count the most, don't ppl at this understand? look into this if u still scared a bit:
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650, 90$ after rebate, got decent 12v amperage and watts

I'm asking if my PSU will do fine, if I were to get another.. it'd definently be 520hx because of it's reviews.. but will my PSU do fine without any flaw or skips or problems.. even if I decided to OC?

It'd probably do but I would get one with some more headroom just in case and for future upgrades.. The Goodpowers aren't really meant for these kind of parts..

You don't HAVE to get the corsair either, there are other good ones too, just saying. Like the one vernong said which you can actually get for $80 shipped from compusa with no rebates.

Thanks for the reassurance guys :).. I was worried, but from what you guys say.. I shouldn't be.. :)..

and what's the "overclocking dramatically" considered for the q6600.. cuz apparently my brother wants to get it up at 3.2-3.3... even at those rates will the psu be fine? he has a g0 coming, if that makes a difference.

The Q6600 will reach 3.2-3.3 without much trouble. You may not even have to change the voltage to get it to that. Im not familiar with the g0 stepping models yet, but my understanding is they use even less voltage so overclocking that shouldn't put any strain on the psu at all. When you start pushing towards 3.4-3.5 you may run into some trouble.

But what Vernong was saying by "extreme overclocking," Im assuming he meant for all the coponents. If you start pushing all those components to their max you may run into some issues on that psu. You can tweak everything a little just fine. Just do your stability tests with each step up in OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom