I'm outta the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey all!

I'm so out of date that it really is quite funny being that I'm a full time IT guy. Anyway - My Phenom 9850, 9800GT, 4gb ram just aint cuttin' it no more. Once I upgrade, probably be donating this machine. I'm looking to upgrade CPU and MOBO. I'll be getting the 560ti at some point as far as GPU goes. I do game (Bf3, bf2, etc etc) once in a great while. I need something pretty beastly (quad core minimum - I don't overclock... no really... no I'm not gonna do it... NO). I do a lot of multimedia stuff more so than gaming so my computers are usually well-used.

My only question is, given a mid-range budget, what would you get for mobo and CPU? I've always been an AMD guy, but my eyes aren't impressed lately from the benchmarks. I know you're gonna want a specific budget, but I don't have one yet as I'm gonna be moving at the same time. Still undecided if I'm gonna do this.

Just gimme what you personally would buy. I'll take care of the RAM and what not... just gimme your recommendation for CPU and MOBO.

Quick recommendation for the 560 Ti: EVGA 560Ti Superclocked (very quiet, low temp in my poorly ventilated case, and great gaming performance - bf3, mw3, crysis2)

CPU: I'd go with an i5-2500 or an i7-2600 if you're willing to spend the extra 100$ for hyper-threading. Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Also, if you're not already planning this, I'd wait till black friday, there may be a sale on these..

Hey all!

I'm so out of date that it really is quite funny being that I'm a full time IT guy. Anyway - My Phenom 9850, 9800GT, 4gb ram just aint cuttin' it no more. Once I upgrade, probably be donating this machine. I'm looking to upgrade CPU and MOBO. I'll be getting the 560ti at some point as far as GPU goes. I do game (Bf3, bf2, etc etc) once in a great while. I need something pretty beastly (quad core minimum - I don't overclock... no really... no I'm not gonna do it... NO). I do a lot of multimedia stuff more so than gaming so my computers are usually well-used.

My only question is, given a mid-range budget, what would you get for mobo and CPU? I've always been an AMD guy, but my eyes aren't impressed lately from the benchmarks. I know you're gonna want a specific budget, but I don't have one yet as I'm gonna be moving at the same time. Still undecided if I'm gonna do this.

Just gimme what you personally would buy. I'll take care of the RAM and what not... just gimme your recommendation for CPU and MOBO.

i stopped reading right there... when i read that line this is what i read:

" i refuse to get more bang for my buck, i hate getting more than i pay for, i want to keep my processor the way it is and not get 40-50% better performance for free, no i will not do that "

with all do respect, that is foolish. ESPECIALLY how easy it is to overclock these new processors that both Intel and AMD are comming out with.

i stopped reading right there...

I stopped reading right there... what I read is:

"I dont really want to help you - only fight about who's got the uber 1337 specs in 3dMark because i r overclockz to like 500ghz".

I've done my fair share of overclocking. As I already stated, I will not be overclocking. Your help is not needed here.

what if you don't need more "bang"...? :)

That setup is similar to what I was looking at.

I second the i5-2500k processor, but why spend the extra money on the k edition? Since the only reason I recommend it over other i5's is for the overclocking capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom