I'm going to start upgrading my computer soon, and I need some advice.

Bluehotdog5

Baseband Member
I bought this computer as a bare bone kit, so I know how to put it together, I just had a few other questions. I'll start off by posting my specs;

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
RAM: 8GB (restricted to 3.25 gb by OS)
Processor: AMD Athlon II x3 445 Processor 3.10GHz
Video Card: ATI Radeon 4350
Power Supply: 450 Watt

I was thinking of starting off by upgrading the power supply, then the video card, then the OS, then the Processor. But do you think I should upgrade the OS before anything else? Will the 4.75 extra gigs make a ton of difference? When I bought it, I actually completely forgot about the huge RAM restriction having a 32-bit OS would impose. Plus the kit came with that much ram, so it was most likely built for that. What are your thoughts?

Also, are there any specifics I'll need to look for when buying a new power supply, like different sizes, or is it more one-size-fits-all? Will I have to go through the process of rewiring everything to the motherboard?

But do you think I should upgrade the OS before anything else? Will the 4.75 extra gigs make a ton of difference? When I bought it, I actually completely forgot about the huge RAM restriction having a 32-bit OS would impose. Plus the kit came with that much ram, so it was most likely built for that. What are your thoughts?

Upgrading to 64bit wont make a massive difference, but it will make some difference. it ultimately depends on what your going to do with this computer, im guessing it'll be gaming, but it depends if you game alot then you'd notice the difference and could do with 64bit, but if you only game a little and dont really need massive performance then 32bit should be alright.

Also, are there any specifics I'll need to look for when buying a new power supply, like different sizes, or is it more one-size-fits-all? Will I have to go through the process of rewiring everything to the motherboard?

1:yes, the brand (reliability) and the wattage (graphics cards tend to have a minimum wattage, if your PSU doesn't supply this minimum it might not be safe to use the GFX card.)
2:different sizes, wattages and number of conections.
3:no

1:yes, the brand (reliability) and the wattage (graphics cards tend to have a minimum wattage, if your PSU doesn't supply this minimum it might not be safe to use the GFX card.)
2:different sizes, wattages and number of conections.
3:no

What about this PSU here?

It looks like I can buy a GTX 570 for 250$ off of ebay, so I might do that. If not ebay, then I might get a GTX 560 ti (btw what's the difference between a 560, and a 560 ti?) I was hoping not to spend more then around 250$. But we'll see.

What about this PSU here?
erm...looks good enough, should run most graphics cards. but im not sure on anything else, brand or compatibility ect.

(btw what's the difference between a 560, and a 560 ti?)
Difference between the GTX 560 and GTX 560 Ti? - OverclockersClub Forums <- sums it up.
other than that, not sure again, im not to good with brands, new cards ect, i hardly ever look at them. and when i do, i never get anything the expensive.
sorry i couldent help any more...

Back
Top Bottom