I'm Back... And Buying!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosBoost300

I poop on the rug
Okay.. heyyy ya'll i've been gone for the longest time ever.. after many stupid household hardships and what not.. and i can finally!! finally! continue building computers once again

sadly i had to scrap my amd quad fx build and sell the parts... the only thing i managed to keep was the AMD Edition Thermaltake armor...

after selling all the other goods.. i ended up settling for a crappy ECS board that always freezes and beeps at me... a 3800x2, 1 gig of G.Skill ddr2 800 and a terrible 6800....

anywho..... now that i'm sorta done with that portion of my life... i'm on to computers again! and want to try to come out on top again.. well no 8800ultra's or QX's for me.. not my price range....

onto other things, i'm just gonna go ahead and post what i wanted to get

MOBO:

Gigabyte DS4 650i SLi Mobo (anybody got a 650i yet? how do those run? i plan on minor oc's)

OR

If things go well, i'll buy an EVGA 680i SLi Instead.... not sure, i may go back to my oc hungry self and try to break 4.0 ghz once again!

Video:

ASUS 8800 GTX (Why, because i want the full version of 3dmark06 and all those other goodies)

OR

EVGA 8800 GTX (just because its cheapest as far as i remember)

If not those... then 2 8800GTS', seeing as i'm only playing on 1680x1050.

But possible dual 8800gtx's in the future.. another hard to choose road....

CPU:

I hear there are more price drops for intel next month.... q6600 dropping to the 250 dollar range?!?!?!?!

Anyway...

Q6600 if it really does drop to that range... if not

then the e6700 for sure.

RAM:

2 Gigs of something DDR 1066, preferably G.skill

or 2 Gigs of G.Skill DDR2 800, you know them HZ's

As for everything else, i've already got covered...

to all who have these parts, lemme know how they run!! and your suggestions, and how all these overclock and what not

My Credit limit should be raising next month!!! soooo i'm hoping next month will be my complete date!

Hahah welcome back, ok here are my thoughts on your proposed rig, and I'll just go down w/ my comments in the same order you did...here goes.

MOBO:

The DS4 is a solid mobo, and in terms of overlocking it'll probably even outperform the 680i chipsets. ESPECIALLY if you're thinking about doing SLI, i'd gofor a 650i as they slightly outperform their 680i big brothers.

On another note, another mobo to consider is:

Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

...another good mobo for overclocking, etc... The 680i's have some extra features and can handle ddr2 1200 ram, but in my opinion.......meh.

VIDEO:

Whichever route you go, go w/ evga. Theyre the best....or maybe BFG....but i prefer evga. If you're only gaming at 1680x1050, (20.1" monitor i presume?) then a 8800gts 640 might serve you just as well. Unless you intent to use vista and get hardcore into dx10 games, I doubt youd notice a substantial difference between the gtx and gts640...in any event, going the gts route would obviously save you some money. The gtx's only really come into play when you have reddiculous monitor setups or are playing some hardcore games on high resos, or dx10 games, (which the gts' can do dx10, but obviously not as well).

CPU

Yes, DEFINATELY wait until July 22. The q6600 is dropping to $266, and the e6600 presumably down to around the $170 range. Between the e6600 and the e6700, the increase in speed is NOT worth the price differential being that you can overclock them basically to similar speeds, so if its between the e6600 and the e6700, definately gofor the e6600, the for sure overclock better.

RAM

Assuming you get a 650i mobo, the G.Skill HZ's are the way to go, no question. If you go for a mobo that can handle 1066+, then youre gonna pay out the a** for them, and even still....G.Skill is probably where you want to be.

Anyways, hope this helps, hit me back with your thoughts.

hey nosboost welcome back from the abyss.
i dont know much about the intel parts you have listed above...
but i do have some HZ gskill, which i swapped out in my rig in place of my corsair xms2.
they do alright. not as impressesd as i'd hoped to be, though. as riznarf says...meh. so, i kinda question that they are the way to go...but they go fast for sure. but, they are good ram...just not the monsters i expected them to be.
by the way...
riznarf i am not picking on you, but i see this all the time in the forums...the spelling of this word and now i've broken...
think FINITE.
DEF (F)INITE. d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y... i hate that word...it lost me the state spelling bee in the second grade. heh heh no s**t.
p.s. nos i cant beleive you sold that fx set up. but i guess you have your reasons. welcome back!!

I'd go for the single GTX and get a P35 motherboard. They support native 1333 bus, overclock like mad, and have increased memory performance.

alright, thanks for the replays!! as for the gts... i'm not too sure i wanna run with that again, cuz fear full quality at 1680x1050 could get a bit choppy at times... and 20.1.. meh! i run 22, lol.. and i'm in loveee.... and as for the 650i, ya, i was thinking it would be a nice choice, i had a gigabyte ds3 once and got my e6600 all the way up to 3.97 ghz or something like that.. i'm not sure if i still hold the record on air here or not with super pi?

and i dont mean minor oc.. lol, i lie, i always say that and go mad crazy and do whatever it takes to reach the highest!!!

and that msi board is looking pretty nice, but i think i may stick with the ds4 because i love the the way the bios worked with the ds3, and i'm going to guess its going to be similar.

and as for the hz.. ?? hrmmm, there use to be a huge fuss about those, but i guess with ram being this cheap.. i should just go with some nice 1066 i'm guessing?

alright, thanks for the replays!! as for the gts... i'm not too sure i wanna run with that again, cuz fear full quality at 1680x1050 could get a bit choppy at times... and 20.1.. meh! i run 22, lol.. and i'm in loveee.... and as for the 650i, ya, i was thinking it would be a nice choice, i had a gigabyte ds3 once and got my e6600 all the way up to 3.97 ghz or something like that.. i'm not sure if i still hold the record on air here or not with super pi?

and i dont mean minor oc.. lol, i lie, i always say that and go mad crazy and do whatever it takes to reach the highest!!!

and that msi board is looking pretty nice, but i think i may stick with the ds4 because i love the the way the bios worked with the ds3, and i'm going to guess its going to be similar.

and as for the hz.. ?? hrmmm, there use to be a huge fuss about those, but i guess with ram being this cheap.. i should just go with some nice 1066 i'm guessing?

Go for the Gigabyte P35-DS3R. I'm hearing it gets high FSB speeds just like the DS3. Like I've heard 500FSB with no voltage increase.

For the ram....HZs are one of the best deals on ram out there. You don't need 1066 ram. The HZs can overclock to those speeds.

lol, i know all about oc'ing you don't need to tell me... lol corsair xms ddr2 800 didnt do me much justice oc'ing, i hate making dividers.. and that ram just blew terribly...

hz's do sound nice.. i was just curious as to why they were sorta looked down upon up there.. i mean, i saw plenty of people taking them well past 500mhz...

and does that ds3r you speak of have SLi, cuz that is my main interest.... cuz i don't see any single video card playing crysis at full quality at the moment...

and just as a side note, on why i want ddr1066... it can do so on much lower voltage, and keep timings low... i'm a huge super pi fan, and i wanna obviously keep those low... i'll do some looking around for the meantime today... but i'll probably end up with hz's seeing as 2 gigs is like 150 bucks now or something like that... pure madness....'

and kobe, i think you need to get to overclocking!! cuz i hit 11,000 in 06 with an e6600 and 8800gts (obviously and respectably overclocked...)

lol, i know all about oc'ing you don't need to tell me... lol corsair xms ddr2 800 didnt do me much justice oc'ing, i hate making dividers.. and that ram just blew terribly...

hz's do sound nice.. i was just curious as to why they were sorta looked down upon up there.. i mean, i saw plenty of people taking them well past 500mhz...

and does that ds3r you speak of have SLi, cuz that is my main interest.... cuz i don't see any single video card playing crysis at full quality at the moment...

and just as a side note, on why i want ddr1066... it can do so on much lower voltage, and keep timings low... i'm a huge super pi fan, and i wanna obviously keep those low... i'll do some looking around for the meantime today... but i'll probably end up with hz's seeing as 2 gigs is like 150 bucks now or something like that... pure madness....

heres my build (i won't say welcome back cuz we talk on AIM :) ) it also works for you:

Intel Core 2 QU=uad q6600
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
G-SKill HZ DDR2-800
8800 GTX

dude... don't get tired of this build plz!!! and also what happened to your quad-fx build!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom