I'm about to take a sledge hammer to this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg blits, he could be right.
When i first got my ds3l and my case, i never set the stand offs and booted my pc and the exact same thing happened.
This was early in september...it would turn on for like less than a second then turn off.

And instead of using your buddies psu, why dont you use the pin method to test out your psu first?

sorry, this just came to my mind righ tnow.

In case you don't know what the pin method is (or paperclip method, its called both =P), take your PSU out, grab your optical drive (or a spare one laying around), and then get a paperclip. Insert one end of the paperclip into the GREEN wire, and the other end into one of the black wires (ground). Plug it in, flip it on, and see if it operates your drive. You can also just go out and buy a PSU tester as well if you want.

In case you don't know what the pin method is (or paperclip method, its called both =P), take your PSU out, grab your optical drive (or a spare one laying around), and then get a paperclip. Insert one end of the paperclip into the GREEN wire, and the other end into one of the black wires (ground). Plug it in, flip it on, and see if it operates your drive. You can also just go out and buy a PSU tester as well if you want.

thanks for posting that....usuall i just use a fan to try it out.
whatever works i guess.

No problem.

Yeah, a fan would work too I guess xD... Although not everybody has a spare fan to use (like up until about a month ago I didn't have a spare case fan), so I've always juse used an optical drive (had to test a PSU at a person's house that I was fixing their computer for them), and I had brought a spare optical drive to test theirs out.

Wait, are you talking about the green and black wires on the motherboard power cable or a different connector? I'm not near my psu right now since I'm typing this on a spare comp and it's hard to visualize the cables right now.

thresh said:
This usually happens when the mobo is touching the case in some way. You have the spacers between the mobo and case, right? It sounds like it's shorting out on something

krazyq said:
omg blits, he could be right.
When i first got my ds3l and my case, i never set the stand offs and booted my pc and the exact same thing happened.
This was early in september...it would turn on for like less than a second then turn off.

And instead of using your buddies psu, why dont you use the pin method to test out your psu first?

sorry, this just came to my mind right now.

Don't worry, I've had the standoffs in since day one.

-----------------

Assuming the psu is indeed the problem, I've already contacted antec's customer service personnel and they've approved my psu for rma, which I'll follow through with if it is indeed the problem. I was actually impressed with their service... I was talking to an American, not some hard-to-understand, underpaid techie from a different country. He also seemed to know what he was talking about unlike other support reps I've talked to from other companies.

Also, I was messing around with the pc when I got home and I found out that by pressing the power button on and off as fast as possible, I can "trick" the computer to stay on... I've only tried this with the mobo, an old stick of ram, and my cpu though... I didn't dare connect anything else.

look at your 24 pin psu connector...the wires have colors on them.
take a pin or paper clip and follow the instructions.

sry for double post... cant edit w/ my psp... anyway i hooked up the mobo again but this time took out the cpu. it booted on the first time. after closer inspection, 2 of the "pins" looked discolered as compared to the others. but it may just be excess thermal grease transfered to the "pins" from my hand wen I lifted the cpu... idk what to think now...

Here's a pic of the CPU's discolorations

KIF_3442.jpg

The 2 discolored pins are towards the bottom left.

Here's 2 pics of the mobo... sorry I know my camera is ******.

w/ flash
KIF_3443.jpg

w/o flash
KIF_3441.jpg

If there looks to be any damage on the CPU, RMA it, if there looks to be any damage to the mmotherboard socket, RMA it.
Don't want to bother waitting? RMA them both..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom