If I get a 4870 1GB I'm going to need a new mobo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah you'll definitely have to OC that CPU to get the most outta a 4870... if its the e0 stepping revision then you can probably get to 3.6-3.8GHz with a modest cooler... Id recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7, the Core Contact Freezer (like vernong said) or the Noctua NH-U12P

Or the Noctua NH-C12P if you want the best (its expensive).

can I get some RAM suggestions? Right now I might just get more RAM. I'm waiting a few months for these cards to drop in prices before I update.

I would buy some more of the same Ram and a sunbeam core contact freezer or if your wanting to push that cpu over 3.2ghz a Thermaltake Ultra 120 extreme (has no fan so you have to buy one extra or two to get the most out of it) I run mine with a single quite fan which just ensures a steady flow of air its set at just 800rpm atm but I have good case airflow.

The Bfg psu is ok there older models aren't the greatest which I assume that is (given the rest of your hardware) but good enough for what you want to do. I would get the 4870 then wait a month or two and get another if you feel you need it. If you don't have the cash then get two 3870s they are quite cheap now

Thanks, bought the sunbeam one and more ram just now. Going to wait on the gpu upgrade til after xmas probably.

its weird how cpu coolers reviews change so much from one another, im still sticking to the xigmatek and ultra 120 as the best 2 options and also the core contact.

They actually tested all of those heatsinks though....and multiple sources state that the core contact is just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom