Idiot Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah thats how i approach video cards. when a new one comes out, i buy it then sell my old one (which is usually pretty new lol) before the retail price drops on the old one. plus, most people are not aware of the pace at which computer hardware is released.
as far as cpu's go i always like to have a spare or two in case i get a little too voltage happy.
lol i read on xtremesystems in someone's sig it said:
"Hail Voltage! The Solution to AND Source of all our Hardware Problems"
lol.

yeah thats how i approach video cards. when a new one comes out, i buy it then sell my old one (which is usually pretty new lol) before the retail price drops on the old one. plus, most people are not aware of the pace at which computer hardware is released.
as far as cpu's go i always like to have a spare or two in case i get a little too voltage happy.
lol.

oh man, I am slightly worried about a build I sold to someone, I set the voltage to 1.5V on an E2160, I just hope it holds out, I can't really contact him about it, I wish I had lowered it before hand. 1.5 isn't bad, but it's borderline really, and on stock cooling :( but temps were good and it was orthos stable, if there's anything wrong I'll find out soon enough.

lol.

yeah, I am going to start doing that. How much do you think I could pick up for a superclocked 8800GTS 640mb?
And I hope that the new 9000 series are a little less money. I am hoping to get a good deal in feb.

Merkwürdigliebe;1252874 said:
haha, so you come in here to double check your planned build, and after everybody makes suggestions, you reject them, you stick to your old plans and say that you have a reason already for doing so?

Why bother even asking us for suggestions then? Are you getting a discount? do you know someone from AMD?

Actually, the purpose of my post was to ensure that my system would run once I put it together and not fry itself, and I honestly wasn't looking for a detailed critique.

However, I do appreciate the posts here, and have been pointed toward a link that provided some solid evidence to reconsidering my CPU choice, and upgrading to crossfired 3850 512MB.

As to why I'm adversed to change, I've already got this rig set up, and I'm too **** lazy to start researching a complete revamp of my plans.

Edit: oh, yeah, I just remembered when I went through my wishlist that I'm geting a $180 discount on the Hard Drive by buying AMD.

2 x 3850's will be faster

you can actually get 512MB 3850's
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

It has one bug, which I haven't actually heard being a real problem.
not by a lot.

it's cheaper than the Intel quad cores are.

Well, the difference in performance is not that great at stock speeds, but a Q6600 can hit 3.5-4.0GHz. There's not one Phenom quad out there that can come close to that kind of overclocking, and that's where there is a huge gap in performance. The Agena 9600 is either a little more expensive or equal in price to a Q6600, so I don't understand where the 'cheaper' argument is coming from. The Agena 9500 is only $30 cheaper... and it's not worth the extra $30 you save. The extra $30 you invest into a Q6600 would go a longer way.

Well, the difference in performance is not that great at stock speeds, but a Q6600 can hit 3.5-4.0GHz.
with good cooling, which costs more.

There's not one Phenom quad out there that can come close to that kind of overclocking
Actually, Phenom has been able to get 3GHZ on pretty ordinary air cooling. And it's been done outside AMD, too (with average air cooling).

The B2 stepping isn't clocking as high as it should, on average. This is not a problem with the architecture, or Phenom in general. It's just the stepping.

I'm going to get a B3 stepping quad, and use my watercooling on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom