Ideas for Gaming Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdarftw

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I want to get a new mobo for my comp, and I am interested in a Q9550 quad core processor. I am a gamer, and wanna get the most for my money. Do you guys have any ideas of what to get? I dont wanna spend more than $300

There is really no such thing as a "gamer motherboard" some people claim it to help FPS, but by a shill amount like 1 or 2...

But since you can afford a q9550 + a $300 board, why not check out a Core i7 setup?

Core i7 920
Asus P6T (is better than the Deluxe)
DDR3 Kit that is <1.65 V...

That would blow away a q9550 by a good bit.. and you should be able to afford it

If you have the $_$ to get a Q9550 and $300 for a motherboard, I would also suggest what Vernong said, a Core i7 would do you better, that would truly be "getting the most for your money", as for a "gaming motherboard" but if you looking for better gaming performance, I would suggest getting a dual core that can overclock to higher speeds instead of a quad that can do mediocre speeds. Since last time I checked, a lot of games still don't utilize all four cores. I personally would get anything e8400 or above and a sexy DFI lanparty series motherboard (that is if you have a windowed case to show it off ^^) DFI makes some pretty good "gaming" motherboards, and there are results that motherboards designed to for gaming does sometimes increase frame rates, although sometimes only as low as 1-2%

core i7 is a better investment than an e8400 now though. it will be much more future proof. e8400s are awesome but I think if you are going to upgrade, go i7

Ah , but if u go e8400 , u will save big bucks and be able to upgrade to a core 2 quad(a high-end one,not q6600) in the future. That's what I plan on doing. Most apps don't even fully utilize 4 cores. Not yet anyway.

Ah , but if u go e8400 , u will save big bucks and be able to upgrade to a core 2 quad(a high-end one,not q6600) in the future. That's what I plan on doing. Most apps don't even fully utilize 4 cores. Not yet anyway.

when he gets around to upgrading though, the core 2 quads will be almost phased out by then. why not just get an i7 that will perform pretty much as well as an e8400 and not have to worry about upgrading later.

Is this $300 for a motherboard, or $300 for CPU AND motherboard? That will make a huge difference.

Ya, that changes things then...

But still, you won't be able to afford any good motherboard since your budget is $300 and the q9550 is a highly priced $280... 93% of your budget would be gone on just your CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom