IDE SATA, are they compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
well I have a 200gig maxtor diamondmax I think it is, and it is IDE ATA. Now is that like not as old as IDE and not as new as sata?? Cause I wanted to get a 80gig sata 3.0gig/s WD to put in as a slave drive.

I have seen mixed knowledge about these two drives compatibility.

Can someone give me some info on this, and maybe even some legit proof if possible.

Thanks, Lance

ide should be different and incompatible as far as interfaces go.

If your mobo supports it and you don't need to buy a new card for it you should be able to see a difference. SATA is like a wider looking usb connection but still smll and flat.

so your ide and serial should be different interfaces.

I would suggest making the smaller sata the boot/master and the larger one for file serving.

SO what you are saying is that there is no compatiblilty right. I am not sure if my mobo supports sata, I will have to look into it. If it did I still coudlnt run both of them at the same time?

okay, Now what about the whole CPU running at 2ghz thing? does anbody know if my mobo is only reading my cpu at 2.0ghz or what?

JoshSB said:
I do noit think you can have SATA and IDE and have them both run at the same time.

Sure you can.. There are no problems running IDE/SATA together. You simply can't expect to plug in a IDE drive to a SATA slot or a SATA drive into an IDE slot..but if you couldnt figure that out by its physical limitations and just by looking..you need more help than we can give here on this forum..lol..j/k.

lancec2c30 said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1621492&sku=A458-2130

Ok this is my mobo, now I think it supports sata correct? I also noticed that in the specs it supports processers up to 2ghz, Now does that mean that my 3500 @ 2.4 ghz is only affective at 2ghz?

Thats correct. If your BIOS doesnt read it your OS sure wont. Usually though to get over said limitations they offer BIOS flashes. You should look into that to see if they have any BIOS updates and look through the info to see if states a higher CPU recognition.

well But I looked in the system tab in windows, and it said that my processer was running at 2.4ghz. does this mean that I must have already gottne the BIOS flash or my mobo came with a newer version on it then what is staed in the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom