Ide And Sata In Same Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing my first build...how do I use wire a SATA hdd and an IDE dvd drive? Do I need an adapter? Should I just get a sata drive? I will eventually get one, I'm just anxious to get it running.

You just plug them into different spots. You should have a different spot on the mobo for the connections and the power supply should have both or just use a adapter. I run sata hdd and ide dvdrw no problem. So unless theres some new boards without ide and you got one you should be fine.

First off, what is your motherboard?
You should have no problems connecting a IDE and SATA, I have this in my system at the moment, just make sure you have the SATA set as the main drive.
Also, make sure you have all the appropriate cables for this setup.

Also, if you use the sata as your primary drive, don't forget to put the IDE as slave. Most older IDE drive are pre-set to Cable Select in the jumper setting. with sata as primary and the IDE set to CS, you might have issue with compatability. (I know I did when I had done this set up) So as long as set to slave on the IDE you should be good.

i use an IDE as my main drive in my media rig with a 500gb SATA as storage. why, you ask? because i am too lazy to move my OS to the SATA.
works fine.

I just stopped using a couple of ~10GB Maxtor IDEs from 24/01/00 and 5/5/99. Much more reliable than seagates their age (or even half their age) but they both make an anoying high pitched whine. OP: yes you can mix SATA and IDE devices with no worries whatsoever as long as you take care of the normal stuff for the IDEs ie max one master and one slave on each channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom