IDE & SATA Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

valcan222

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I was wondering what the difference was between sata and IDE hard drives. I am going to be buying a new hard drive, the one i have now well it dosent work lol. I am near a best buy and they have some hard drives, theres are IDE I belive, but I think they have sata as well, I have a Asus m2n32-SLI Deluxe mobo, so can you guys help me out what do I need to get IDE or Sata hard drive? and buy the way its a segate hard drive. but the big question is, with my mobo the Asus m2n32-SLI Deluxe do I need a SATA or IDE or dose it matter? thanks a ton, a speedy reply would be great.

and by teh way I no almost nothing about hard drives I hope this made some sence. sorry. please help, I need reply fast

ok I will make sure to get sata over the IDE, and a 16 mb cache. any thing else I should make sure of when I am getting it?

wait a sec, can mother boards have both IDE and SATA hard drive capabilitys? because I have a IDE hard drive now.

well I looked up my mobo on new egg heres the link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131011

now it has sata connectors, so I will get a sata hard drive. and with the sata hard drives, all I have to do is connect the drive to teh sata connectors and connect power to teh hard drive well and a few other things but that is the main part of actualy installing the hd that in placing it in teh comp right? and my mobo has multiple sata connectors what one will I connect it to there are 6 red sata 3 GB/s connectors and one black sata connector 3GB/s what one do I hook this one to? and should the hard drive come with all the cables I need? or do I have to buy them sepperatly?

thanks, speedy reply would be nice, thanks!!!

yea, I have the power connectors already in my comp. so that should be it then, a SATA segate hard drive, with a 16 mb cache got it, ok, now what if my comp dosent auto detect it? I havent ever gone into my bios before well I have but not for anything big, any tips? what should I do if the hard drive dosent auto detect it?

thanks in advance, by the way thanks a ton macdude 425 you have been a big help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom