i7 Temp issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat_helmet

Daemon Poster
So I have my i7 rig up and running, with the specs below (havent updated my sig yet):

Core i7 920 + Thermalright Ultra 120
Asus P6T Mobo
3x2GB G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
Palit GTX 285
Antec NeoHE 550w
Seagate 500 + 200gb

So i mounted my TRUE and was originally getting temps of around 42-45C idle and 52-55C Load. I though this was high and decided to remove some thermal paste.

Once i did this the temps dropped to about 37-41C idle and 50-51C Load. This is load in games, not prime or IBT.

Im still not happy though, this is stock and i think they are still to high. Am i right? I have one 1600rmp fan on the TRUE and 2 1500rmp 12cm case fans with another 2x8cm fans, and the cable management is pretty good.

Any ideas? Should i lap? Are these temps high for a stock i7?

Thanks.

Yep, the i7 just runs hot. Dont worry too much about it.

One thing you might want to do is just mount the stock cooler and get a baseline temp reading, then put the TRUE on. IF there seems to be no change, then its possible you need to lap. I had to lap my TRUE because i had as much as 10c degree difference between cores.

Ok, well i've run IBT an the cores didnt og above 62C which seems fairly good. Although there still can be a 8C difference between cores so i might do a bit of lapping and then start overclocking.

Ive been reading around and it seems a OCed temp of 75-80C in IBT is acceptable.

Sup meat_helmet.

Your in sydney ey? Im pretty much getting that exact same setup but with a Xigmatek S1283. So let me know how it goes.

My i7, stock cooling, generic case, poor air flow runs about .. well Real Temp 3.0 says right now 43/43/45/41 and all I have going is the net.

Considering I have a badly air-cooled case, (being upgraded soon to a beast) , as it was said they just run hotter.

If you plan to do any SERIOUS overclocking, I think I myself would go liquid cooled, more expensive and complicated, but very much a safer feeling when done, especially with summer coming for the USA, and temps easily going 90F+ here.

Running at 4.2ghz i'm sitting at 48/45/47/37 right now :) Disreguard the watercooling though.

Okay well ive done some overclocking now. Im at 3.6GHz @ 1.33 vcore and qpi voltage. Intel Burn Test is stable, gets to a maximum of 79/77/74/72. At idle now though its 41/36/39/36.

It didnt get over 61C while gaming which i guess isnt too bad. I guess i will still lap it to get the cores at more similar temps. Any more might just need watercooling - which might come in 6 months.

I might invest in some better case fans. Are the Sythe S-Flex still top notch??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom