i7 Seems sluggish - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: i7 Seems sluggish

1. This seems to be a BIOS problem, when you built the computer did you check the voltages, and memory settings to make sure they are at stock settings? Some motherboards will not recognize what the chips stock settings should be; therefore after your first boot you need to always check to see if clocks and voltages are correct.

2. See if there are any types of speed step items in the BIOS that are enabled, if so just disable them.

3. Check your temperatures, if the temperature is too high, you may need to re-seat the CPU heatsink. High temperatures can result in lost functionality or destruction of hardware.

4. Make sure you do not have any spyware, or viruses on your computer. In today's world software is the major reason for computer slowdowns. Since hardware is increasing and advancing rapidly it is most likely sluggish software.

Items 2 & 4 are the main one's I would look at as those are the best conclusions I can come up with.

GTX 275 // Xigamatek Rifle 120mm // Creative XtremeGamer X-Fi
Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark strike1 View Post
1. This seems to be a BIOS problem, when you built the computer did you check the voltages, and memory settings to make sure they are at stock settings? Some motherboards will not recognize what the chips stock settings should be; therefore after your first boot you need to always check to see if clocks and voltages are correct.

2. See if there are any types of speed step items in the BIOS that are enabled, if so just disable them.

3. Check your temperatures, if the temperature is too high, you may need to re-seat the CPU heatsink. High temperatures can result in lost functionality or destruction of hardware.

4. Make sure you do not have any spyware, or viruses on your computer. In today's world software is the major reason for computer slowdowns. Since hardware is increasing and advancing rapidly it is most likely sluggish software.

Items 2 & 4 are the main one's I would look at as those are the best conclusions I can come up with.
At first I thought it was what Hefe posted. But his processor looks to be acting normally. When it's idle, it downclocks itself, when something's going on, it bumps itself right back up with fine voltages, when one core has a heavy load, it slightly overclocks itself. Just curious, but where did you come to the conclusion his temps might be a bit high, I don't see any indication of that?

To the OP- Is your computer generally "sluggish" or is it only when you're using this application?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtis View Post
At first I thought it was what Hefe posted. But his processor looks to be acting normally. When it's idle, it downclocks itself, when something's going on, it bumps itself right back up with fine voltages, when one core has a heavy load, it slightly overclocks itself. Just curious, but where did you come to the conclusion his temps might be a bit high, I don't see any indication of that?

To the OP- Is your computer generally "sluggish" or is it only when you're using this application?
The only indication I have seen that temps "might" be involved is due to the fact that he stated it was sluggish. I have seen many computers before where the case temperature had an effect on performance.

Also his CPU should not be throttling, I am mostly convinced that it is a BIOS setting that is enabled under the Advanced Chipset Settings.
GTX 275 // Xigamatek Rifle 120mm // Creative XtremeGamer X-Fi
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis

It shouldn't be? I could be wrong as I don't have one, but I'm next to positive the Core i7s throttle themselves down quite a bit when they're idle to save power, EIST. They also overclock themselves with Turbo Mode. Otherwise, I would assume it was a heat issue as well.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtis View Post
It shouldn't be? I could be wrong as I don't have one, but I'm next to positive the Core i7s throttle themselves down quite a bit when they're idle to save power, EIST. They also overclock themselves with Turbo Mode. Otherwise, I would assume it was a heat issue as well.
Yes they do. They run with a 12x multiplier at 1.6ghz and then with turbo on shoots upto 2.8ghz with a 21 multiplier at 2.8ghz.

It could well be a heat issue but the first screenshot of the unraring is interesting as it hits above 3ghz.... It would have to be something wierd with the BIOS for it to jump it that high, as mine (as should all) hit 2.8ghz max with turbo boost and thats in Prime95 with all 8 threads maxed.

Check your temps with RealTemp first and post back, then we can rule some situations out at least.

EDIT: Oh, i see, you arnt running your i7 at stock, your running it at 146 instead of 133 and your voltage should be enough i think but it is lower than it would have come default at. If you didnt do that yourself then definantly update the bios, go in set everything to default and see if it fixes it itself.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i7 chips only throttle back due to heat when they hit around 100C (TJ max). And if your hitting anywhere near that temp there is a serious problem...
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Techie

This seems to be one of those problems which has no logical answer. As for now rule out the bad temperature theory but i doubt this would cause bad performance, usually it doesn't. I'm almost certain your motherboard would have set stock voltages etc for your i7, being a popular asus motherboard. Check the finer things it may be like, having ram not set in dual/triple channels dimms or something.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Closed Thread