i7 Power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat_helmet

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

Well it looks like its time to go i7 for me, at least soon anyway. I would like to do it before university gets really hectic again, which will be in a few weeks. It poses a problem though. I have enough cash to get the following:

i7 920
Asus P6T
G.Skill NQ DDR3 1600Mhz

The issue is my power supply. I was a little skeptical that it would work with my GTX285, but its been over a week now and shows absolutely no sign of stress. Its an Antec 550W, but it does have a respectable 42A on the 12v rails. My worry is that if i go up to an i7 build it might not handle it for the time until i have the cash to upgrade. I plan on getting a Corsair TX850 (so i can go SLI) but may not have the cash for at least another month.

So what i am asking is does anyone have any first hand experience with a major increase in power consumption from a Q6600 or similar to an i7? Should i just do it and not OC until i get a better PSU?

The i7 uses less voltage than your q6600 does. Also, your memory will be pulling less voltage than ddr2. All in all, your draw should be less than your currenty cpu/mobo/memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom