i7 Build (sick of these yet? ), pick away at it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C3ntury

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone,

1st post/thread, long time lurker. The information on this site is quite invaluable and hoping someone could critique my i7 build. It's purpose is to eventually be a gaming/home theater rig with some OC'ing (not trying to set a benchmark lol) and hopefully I'll be able to bypass anything liquid related as far as cooling *crosses fingers*

cpu: i7 920 D0 (already bought)

mobo: Majorly stuck. I had my heart set on the Giga UD7, but it seems this board is more-so intended for liquid cooling? My other possibilities were the EVGA A1 and the Giga UD5.

gpu: xfx hd 5870

cooler: Noctua D14 or Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B. The Mega's are my front runners due to their smaller scale than the Noctua. This board tends to push Sunbeam Core Contacts, but not sure how they compare at this point in time (I rarely see other boards pushing for it)?

hdd: WD Caviar Black 1tb (already bought)

memory (at least 6gb): OCZ Platinums no longer available from Newegg? I sad :( Looking at either Corsair or G.Skill I guess, unless they are restocked. Any solid low profile performers out there? I've seen Corsair Dominators and G.Skill Ripjawss/Tridents often recommended at xtremesystems (G.Skill mentioned here more).

psu: Corsair 850hx

Blu-Ray: Either Pioneer BDR-205 or Lg BH08LS20...leaning towards Pioneer.

Drive: LITE-ON LH-20A1P (already have)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 (already bought)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything? Thur my money blows! Thank you for any assistance as I'm looking to order by New Year's! :)

Thanks for the memory recommendation! They seem like a lower profile too? How are they as far as OC ability compared to Tridents or Ripjaws? Any thoughts on the coolers I mentioned or links available to cooler (air) ratings?

Thanks again :D

I pushed the sunbeam core contact because it offered good performance at a very good price :p

but if you are willing to spend the premium price for a cooler, the Megahalems and the D14 definitely are better

RAM I like G.Skill dunno why, just had good luck w/ them

board wise I really don't think you can go wrong with either Evga, Asus or Gigabyte

of the two board choices I would go with the evga.

ram: take a peek at these cas8
Newegg.com - OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

heatsink I would go for the Prolimatech.

I wrote OCZ regarding a different question, but also snuck in one regarding XMP vs. their Platinums since Plats are back in stock and this was their response: "The link that you have provided (xmp) is better for Intel branded motherboards since their boards are very picky with memory and does have limitations on the memory itself. So if you are going with EVGA branded mother, either the G or P series would work great."

Isn't EVGA A1 an Intel based x58?

Ok, so I have everything now except for the **** memory...would either of the OCZ Plats or XMP break the 4.0ghz mark (depending on cpu I'm sure)? I know it's just a number, but a pretty one :) Also, for just running OS (Win 7) and some other programs what size SSD would I need, 60gb? I believe Intel is still the ish in terms of performance, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom