i7 build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
Currently the build is as follows:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Sound Cards
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

+another older IDE drive and two DVD burner drives.

Could someone recommend a PSU, the size is really what i am concerned about. I've seen the list on here but i'm not sure what would be needed for i7 and x58 build.

Currently the build includes the Gigabyte UD5, trying to shave a few bucks off the price so i was also looking at the UD4. How worse off is the performance of the UD4 versus the UD5 in OCing and overall?

Also, was wondering about the ram, currently getting the DDR3 1333 but if i were to overclock would it be better off getting higher speed ram from the start as opposed to overclocking the 1333?

you might as well get the higher ram if you want to overclock.

alsoo if your going to spend a 460 dollars on a motherboard and soundcard seems a little steep, you can afford the asus rampage2ex.

personally I would get the asus rampage2 intstead, comes with a creative x-fi sound card. And sprend the extra 60 dollars you spend on some better ram.
either these
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
or these
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

well job i just recently built my i7 build actually it was like 2 days ago
i have an i7 920
3x 1gb ddr3 1333 tri-channel mem
p6t deluxe mobo
1 dvd drive
2 sata hdd
and an xfi xtremegamer soundcard
i am running fine on my antec 650w modular psu so i think around that should be ok also the best psu calculator that i have found so far is this Calculator

Well i've gone ahead and added the 1600 ram, the price increase didnt seem to hurt too much... but although the asus board looks pretty sexy i've heard horror stories about that x-fi card that comes with it. And from what I understand it only supports eax4 which my current audigy2zs does already[i think]... so if imma upgrade want to get one with eax5 support, and fewer horror stories. Shame too, that board does look nice, just doesnt fit mah budget.

Anyone have some experiance with the gigabyte DS4? would like to know how it performs against the UD5... could save 50 bucks but wanna make sure that its worth saving it. Im planning to overclock but not massively, just cause my budget doesnt currently support a decent heatsink and my knowhow on the i7s is limited for OCing. So if i can pull off something like mid 3ghz-ish with the DS4 stable id be happy.

these are both good suggestions for PSU.

all of the i7 stuff is so new, there are probably few who could tell you if that board is still good but I'm assuming its still pretty decent because its a gigabyte.

So yea amusing story i thought i'd share with you folks. Went to order the parts and my card gets canceled. When i call to find out why they tell me they saw suspicious activity on the card such as high spending, when i asked them to list off the activity it turned out to be me Christmas shopping. So newegg voids my order and i gotta start again... although so far i saved about 30$ price drops and rebate changes from waiting an extra few days lol....

But now i got some more questions:
which ram:
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
or
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
or
another recommendation still in my budget

The OCZs look like a better deal right off the bat but i remember someone telling me that 1.65v is a problem with some x58 and i7 or something like that.

You should always go with NICE ram and ram that is compatible with your motherboard. It is the leading culprit in your computer to not run right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom