i7 build overbudget. Where to cut costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narrative

Beta member
So I've been browsing a few sites for the past couple of days and I've put together a great i7 rig. My last build was over 4 years ago, so I figured if I was to upgrade I move up towards the best, with options for upgrades over the years. Problem is, I'm about $500 over what I was hoping to pay for this whole build, and I need to know where I can cut corners. So anyways, parts:

EVGA X58 bundled with i7 920 - $570
EVGA GTX260 Core 216 - $250
G.Skill 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333 - $170
1TB WD Black Caviar - $120
1TB WD Black Caviar bundled with Vista Ultimate SP1 for Builders - $290
LG Black Blu-Ray GGW-H20L - $250
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - $120
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $170

I've heard great things about the EVGA X58, so I've pretty much decided on it. Same thing with the P182 case - I need something cold and quiet, and this meets my requirements. I have the two harddrives because I was planning on using them in a Raid 1 setup, as I know I'd forget to backup and with that much data I don't want to risk a loss.

I want this computer for gaming and high-def movies - I probably won't be getting a monitor for a while, right now I have an old monitor I can use until I can afford a new monitor. I also have an Aquos LG-32D43U TV I could hook it up to for movies. The blu-ray drive is in there because I'm thinking about returning my PS3 I just got and using this computer in place of a blu-ray player. I read an review about this drive in maximumpc and it has great reviews on newegg, but 250 is tad steep.

Problem is, I was planning on spending about $1,500 tops on this, and I'm already at $1,940 without tax and shipping. I'm also sure there are small things I'm forgetting - will I need a Raid controller, aftermarket CPU cooler (if so, I really like the V8), thermal paste, etc? I'd like to put together every single part (extra fans, cable ties, etc) so that when I order I can build this right away. Is there anywhere I could cut corners that would allow me to upgrade in the future? I mean, I could probably save a couple hundred by ditching the Windows and relying on TPB, but other than that I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

well, you can ditch the blu ray player and keep the ps3 or just do without. thats 225 right there (a decent dvd-rw drive is like 25 bucks).
you can go with a cheaper case.
i know the p182 looks awesome (its one of my favorites for looks), but it is expensive and to be honest it looks to have HORRIBLE airflow, so i dont think it will quite cut it inthe "cold" department. thats really the only reason i haven't bought one myself.
say...a 60 dollar case, thats another 110.00
so we're up to 335 now...
you can lose the vista ultimate OS and DL server 08 for free for at least *cough* like 240 days. it is the same as vista 64, btu you can customize it more and it is less of a resource hog. after the 240 days you can either purchase a copy, or re-format. so thats like what...another 100.00
so we're at 435 less now.
you could get a lesser PSU, but thats a pretty screamin deal on the corsair 750, so thats up to you.
you can go with the WD green 1TB and save 30 dollars there.
so now were at 465 less.
gskil NQs are 150, so thats another 20.
now we're at 485 less.
thats about all i can do.
good luck!
welcome to tech-forums by the way. :D

EDIT:
actually i see that vista ultimate is 170 bucks so with my suggestions you are where you want to be in the money department.

RAID 1 is not a replacement for backing up your data, and do you really need a whole TB?

Well, yes it really is as Raid 1 will mirror the whole drive. So if one fails the other is an exact copy.

Raid 1 is, however, a bit slower. And as kmote said, if you want to do this then you might have to get 2x500GB instead.

Vista does also have the restore point tool, which is a fairly easy to use backup tool. Otherwise you might just have to get a smaller 250GB drive or something and use it to backup all your really important stuff.

I'm making a i7 rig soon too
my build is
Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250620NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $50
INTEL CORE i7 920 2.66GHz CPU $300
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $69
ATI HD4830 $130
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4 $245
Cooler Master 690 $115
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR 550W $70
Linton DVD-RW $21

You could change the case, and the hard drive.
-I don't really think getting vista is a good idea since window 7 is coming out soon and XP is better in my opinion.
-Don't get the blue ray >.O is cost too much and you have a ps3 why not use it?
-Agree with stalin90 the cases looks good, and cheaper. As for your choice of the case yeah um...the air flow doesn't look really good. You can get silent fans for like $10-$20 not that expensive.
-Do you really need 6Gb of Ram? Because i think most programs would run fine with i7 and 3Gb

Last of all i think your missing a video card, ATI4830 or 4850 is my recommendation, but since your over budget already you may need to consider again

Welcome to the forum :D hope you get your things right

well I know NewEgg has just ray read-only drives for about $120 one was $99 and then shipping, I know cause I'm looking at getting one. That'd cut some money. You really won't need the 6 GB, 3 Gb should be fine, I hard ever use more than 2 GB of ram in my set up even when I'm putting alot of load on the ram (conversions and whatnot) And I think that either the 2x500 GB in Raid 1 or like vernong said 3x500 GB's in Raid 5 even. If your not to hot on raid I'd use the search button, I think there's a good sticky somehwere about here. Good luck

Well, yes it really is as Raid 1 will mirror the whole drive. So if one fails the other is an exact copy.

Raid 1 is, however, a bit slower. And as kmote said, if you want to do this then you might have to get 2x500GB instead.

Vista does also have the restore point tool, which is a fairly easy to use backup tool. Otherwise you might just have to get a smaller 250GB drive or something and use it to backup all your really important stuff.

I am well aware of what RAID 1 does and I can tell you it is not a replacement for external backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom