i7 950 stock speeds; thermal compound needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torrain

Solid State Member
Hi, I just got an i7 950, and do not plan on OCing just yet, so will the stock cooler and the stock thermal compound be sufficient for cooling if I run it at stock speeds?
If it matters, I have a HAF 932 case.

Thanks

It should run just fine at stock speeds. No questions asked and no problems. Unless it is like 80 degrees in your room.
The HAF 932 is a great case, had experience with it and it has good airflow. So you should be fine as long as you stay stock speeds.

I see, but should I just get an aftermarket cooler and compound? Because I have read some pretty bad reviews on the stock one.
I was looking at:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
and
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

EDIT: Well it looks like the Cooler Master has thermal compound, so I won't be needing the tuniq..
And I decided that downgrading my RAM from this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335
to
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225
would be a good idea to save my i7.
What do you think?
Thanks again

Well, you could but you have a few options. And a few questions I need answered. What are you planning to overclock it to?

If you want air; this would be the way to go: Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

If you are comfortable with a closed water cooling for just the CPU get this: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

Now for thermal paste you don't really need any for the H70 because it comes preloaded with a TON!
Now if you get some just to feel more comfortable get this: Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

That will work if you want to wipe it off and put more on it.

Hope I helped :D

Yeah you've been helpful :D

Unfortunately my budget doesn't reach that far :( (hadn't planned on getting an i7 in the first place, but I saw it for cheap :p)
so would the Cooler Master (first link) be adequate?
I don't plan on OCing off the bat, but if I do, it will probably be 3.8 or 4.0

Thanks

If you don't plan on overclocking, don't waste your money.... Eventually maybe pick up a cooler if you do plan to overclock.

I wouldn't downgrade your ram to get a cooler if youre not overclocking... Save up more cash / wait for sales, then get one.

Exactly, well put. That Cooler Master just wouldn't cut it I don't think.
Also stay with the PI series I just ordered some of that RAM a few days ago, it is good.

Now if you get some just to feel more comfortable get this: Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease
Hope I helped :D

I can tell you now that your post won't help!!!

Arctic Silver 5 is crap, it's one of the WORST pastes you can buy. Tuniq TX-2 is a far superior paste and it costs 1/2 as much.

@Torrain
I wouldn't buy either of those (2) memory kits. This kit is just $100 after a rebate, there slightly slower than your 1st link and slightly faster than your 2nd link.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

I can tell you now that your post won't help!!!

Arctic Silver 5 is crap, it's one of the WORST pastes you can buy. Tuniq TX-2 is a far superior paste and it costs 1/2 as much.[/url]

Really, has done me good, but that was a while ago. Haven't needed any in a long bit.
Torrain go with the newer stuff as I must have been away for sometime. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom