i7 5850 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

gskgsad

Solid State Member
Hi,

Had enough issues with my old computer, so I've decided to build a new one.

Everyday use, gaming, large poker database, 2 monitors.

Will likely do a mild cpu overclock and only plan on use the one videocard I have, which is:

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5850/G/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Rest of stuff I've been looking at:

i7 920 and Asus P6T mobo combo deal:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

920 Seems like clear choice for budget/what I want to do and don't see any reason not to use the mobo offered w/ combo deal.

Hard drives:

Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2XXX 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

and

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I was planning on doing 2 WD blacks, but after reading about the intel x25 it seems like such a great performance upgrade that its worth it(though just barely considering cost). 6-7 sec boot times vs 30 sec boot time is pretty huge imo.

Could do the 80gb ssd to save money, but I had a 70gb OS drive last time and w/ one game and the poker database space was always an issue.

ram- Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM - Desktop Memory

psu-Newegg.com - Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0308RU 750W ATX 12V 2.3 / EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I was terrible with cable management last time, hoping this will help.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Seems like most decent coolers actually cool about the same, looked for a long time trying to get one that was both quiet and not too big. Seems like they are all fairly big though.

Case is proving to be the hardest thing to pick out so far, don't really like any of them to be honest. Trying to get away from the gaming look and to a more sleek design. Both the Lian Lis and Silverstone seem to do this, but everytime I read reviews on them I find something wrong with them.

Definitely want a case that is as quiet as possible.

This is probably the best fit I can find so far:
Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This is kinda my back up at this point:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Could I do a blu ray player? Using a dell 2405 fpw and a dell 20" Confusing info about whether or not need hdmi and hdcp.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Any reason to do ultimate instead?

Also would love for this to be as quiet as possible, any tips on doing so greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for finding the combo deal muffinman.

I didn't look at the mid tower cases since I have the long 5850 card. Concerned it wouldn't fit in a mid tower. I did like the first two cases you linked though.

And on the other end of the spectrum, there is the ginarmous Corsair from inked.

Everything about that case looks awesome, just wish it wasn't so freakin big.

Think I will probably get it though, just getting used to the idea of having a case that could swallow up my old thermaltake armor case that I already considered a monster.

Also will probably switch to a modular Corsair 850 instead of the thermaltake I linked since the Corsair psus are built so well. Looked immediately for a corsair before and somehow missed the modular one. Would get a 750 but they are sold out.

Probably will buy later today, please let me know if see anything worth changing.

Thanks again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom