i7 3k budget first pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had some of your chooses right to start with. Stay with the Asus motherboard and Corsair Ram.

-I have the ram and love it, runs great on my asus.
-second I would get this power supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

its modular/and you have enough power to run the i7 overclocked/that beastly graphics card...and another one in the future/ and a watercooling system.

-lastly it doesnt matter if about the asus p6t not having a third gpu slot. He is getting a 295 card, he will only be able to get one more...(4 GPU) if he got a 285 he could get 3.

another thought is that the asus rampage ii comes with a nice sound card that has optical out. (so instead of buying a sound card and motherboard separately) you could just buy it in one go. Plus the rampage has 3 sli slots...but like i already said they only way to take advantage of that is if he gets a different graphics card.

gt295 = $505
gtx285 = $350 +2 free games
sli gtx 285 = $700 + 2 free games - 2 free games to sell
quad sli gtx295 = $1010
tri-sli gtx285 = $1050 + 2 free games - 4 free games to sell

The maths speaks for it self get two of these with the possbility of getting 1 more in the near future and be faster for cheaper after selling of the games.
Newegg.com - XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The asus is a needless expense as he does not need two dedicated raid controllers it also doesn't allow him to run tri-sli anywhere near as fast as the gigabyte will.

The psu is $30 more and for modular arrangement not worth the extra cash if it was $10 then maybe but good wire management can be done with all cables attachted. It also doesn't support tri-sli

why pay $20 more for looser timings;
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory <--- obvious wnner

The rampage's soundcard is a gimmick its not that good trust me I have one compared to the asus xonar d2x its crud although it is better then the normal onboards.

update build 2.0

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards x2

Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Patriot PE32GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks x2

Newegg.com - mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Keyboards

Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Mouse

Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

anything more i might need to add to this ?
and if anyone had sum tips on Water Cooling this rig i would love to hear it.

Hai guyz!

For your setup, looking to cool 2x GTX285's, and an i7 your going to need some serious radiator.

We're talk about something like dual MCR320's or a feser/thermochill/XSPC RSX 120.3 radiator at a minimum.

Unfortunately the Antec 1200 really wasn't designed for hardcore water cooling and you won't be able to install it stock.

How good are you with tools and the such? If your comfortable with using a hole saw to cut into the top panel of certain cases you can mount radiators there.

I'll look through some assorted cases and see If I can't find you a few options.

Now for the other water cooling loop parts.

Laing DDC 3.2 Pump with XSPC restop.

Swiftech GTZ Cpu Block.

EK GTX285 blocks, they come in several flavors of the different variations of acrylic, delrin, copper, nickle plated copper.

Compression fittings are nice, but expensive, if that's too much for you, Bitspower Fatboys paired with worm drive clamps are the way to go.

Tubing, for no maintenance Tygon Norprene A-60-G, 1/2'' ID, 3/4'' OD

Otherwise look at Feser's colored tubing.

For coolant, use pure distilled water with Petra's Tech Shop PT Nuke PHN additive.

Any other questions feel free to pm, message, or email me.

These cases would all work well with water cooling because there is plenty of space in the top of the case to drill holes and then mount fans and a radiator.

The biggest problem with the 1200 is the top of the case will not allow for this because of the top mounted fan and the not flat top.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - CHIEFTEC BRAVO BA-01B-B-B Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - CHIEFTEC Dragon DA-01BD-U-OP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-A70B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

this is what i want to do. i want the water cooling parts in a box on my desk with a led display. i don't mind geting a bare box and adding everything inside my self. but i don't want to have it on top of the pc. the case's on that site are a bit much. and i still need to stay around 3k for the pc. the water cooling parts are not apart of my 3k pc. for now there is no budget for the water cooling yet.

i work in the construction field so any tool i need i have. anything i need to cut i can cut.

thanks all for your help
salty thank you for helping me optimize my rig. without you i would have wasted a lot of cash.
aspire thanks for working with me on this i would be lost without you.

desk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom