i5 2500k build assistance - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii
Default i5 2500k build assistance

Hello, I already have a pc power and cooling 750w psu.. I'm replacing the internals in my rig.. new mobo/cpu/gpu/ram..

I'm certain that i want an i5 2500k, from what I read, it's just exactly what I need. I will be able to verclock and I typically don't multitask like a madman to the point where I think i7 hyperthreading is necessary..

Anyways... to the point!

Please, if some of you wouldn't mind, compiling what you think would be the best mobo/gpu/ram for the i5 2500k .. I'm looking to spend around 700-900$US, including the purchase of the i5.. So for best gaming results.. I'm not certain which mobo would be right, but I was thinking maybe a 660ti for the video. Okay, so sorry for the ramble, but thanks for any lists or items you all believe to be best bang for buck currently.

Ohh yes, and what aftermarket heatsink for the i5 2500k would be best also please! =)

Thanks everyone! =)

Demalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: i5 2500k build assistance

The 3570k is 10 bucks more and faster than the 2500k. Overclocking isn't needed at all for gaming.

If you get this right now the motherboard comes with a free RAM combo. Exactly what you need.

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

GPU:
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

ok I might actually do that, if it's still possible tmrw, either way if this cpu will provide more power then I'll do it, uhm, but 1 question, Performance loss from only using 1 stick of ram opposed to 2? The combo only provides 1 stick so I figured I'd add the question. thanks again
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Not much if all you're doing is gaming. Since you have an extra 100 to play with you can add another of the same stick for 16GB dual channel. Or you could up to a 2GB 680.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ok well hey thanks a lot for the replies.. If I don't get that combo I'll likely stick with those items anyways
Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Might as well. The 2500k is a nice chip but the 3570k is faster stock and neither require overclocking. You can always get aftermarket cooling later. Hell, I would put more money into the GPU. Get a 680 and call it a day lol.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

heard that, I might do a 680.. regardless, can you recommend an aftermarket heatsink for the 3570?.. even if I'm going to not overclock.. no reason to keep a stock piece of junk eh?

Also what about g.skill? I've never used crucial or g.skill, always corsair
Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well I didn't recommend because there isn't a need to overclock. My little i5 750 isn't even OCed right now and I have it under water AND it's a first gen. The money is better spent on a better GPU.

BUT I would grab an H80i if you feel you need something. The stock heatsink solution is 100% fine for stock clocks though. Remember, 3570k turbo is 3.8GHz already.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

aha that does make sense on the recommendation, I been overclocking everything for 10 years now.. This will be.. weird to not overclock this time around. Okay well I think I'm done bugging ya. Perhaps I will let you know how it all turns out =)
Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

I have been overclocking since 99 on a Pentium 133MHz. I know them feels. Just when it's not needed there comes a time when you just realize there is no point wasting the energy and exerting all that heat for nothing. Epeen isn't what it used to be.

Access to my Plex PM me.