i3 530 ... cofused

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonga

Baseband Member
hello all

i have read some reviews on the i3 530 cpu ... i have seen that it is significantly faster that c2d and c2q in NON multithreaded applications.....but my question is that how will the same i3 performin multithreaded applications as well as cpu intensive games......in the future will the games make more use of physical core or hyper threads?????

The i3 will run better due to the fact it's 32nm, This means it uses alot less power and has ALOT more overclocking headroom ,easily hitting 4ghz+ on stock cooling. So technically it'll perform alot greater, I'd go with a quad core though personally.

Personally I'd pass on the i3's. From what I've heard they have an integrated graphics controller on the CPU which is a waste of money if you're buying a graphics card (and for any gaming you'll need a real graphics card anyways). While 32nm is nice, an i5 or i7 should also hit 4GHz though you may need some better cooling. With the i7's you get hyperthreading to improve multi-threaded application performance and both the i5's and i7's are quad core (rather than dual core).

At this point in time I don't know why you're comparing against a Core 2 Duo, they are still good CPU's but they are outdated now with the Core 2 Quads and Core i series chips. Any modern chip should outperform a C2D though the C2Q's can still hold their own against some of today's low to mid range chips.

If you're on a tight budget you should also look at AMD, their chips are usually cheaper at a slight expense of performance. They are still great CPU's for gaming and also overclock pretty well. The AMD X4 chips (Athlon II, Phenom II) are quad core and are cheaper than most of Intel's lineup.

heres my current specs.....

e7400
dg41rq motherboard from intel(does not support oc)
4gb ddr2 ram
460 watt psu(70 % efficient)
gts 250

the pc i bought was primarily for gaming......when i play games such as splinter cell conviction or assasin's creed 2 , i see that all my 2 cores are bieng used up at maximum ie 100% (from task manager)

every one knows that from now onward....EACh and every game will be optimized to use 4 cores that is why i need upgrading, i dont want that my cpu becomes some kind of bottleneck for my gpu or the rest of the system.

i have posted the relevent specs needed for u EXPERTS to see which path should i chose for an upgrade which is only to improve performance in the existing multi threaded games and the future ones aswell.

the options in my mind are:
1)buy a quad core at the end of the year....
for this i will just have to replace the cpu.......it would be about $50 cheap for me than option 2.
2)buy an i3 system......
if i go for this option i will have to change my current setup........the board , ram and of course the cpu.
3)wait
Patience is the key to virtue.........till i gather more money and till the new amd bulldozrs as well as the intel new socket is out.....till 2011 summer.

my current budget is $150 + when i sell my current parts .....the resell value of the products in my area are as follows:
e7400 = $90
dg41rq = $43
ram 4 gigs = $90

so u can add up the to find the total according to the option.

IF u have any other options....plzzzzzzzzz post.

thanks in advance

I personally Don't see anything wrong with your current system, the card is decent, motherboard seems bad if it's from intel, what make is the power supply? And how many ghz is your e7400?

Most games won't utilize more than 2 or 3 cores so even a decent tricore would be sufficient for gaming.
You do need a new mobo like techman said, but all in all I think you should wait save your money and build from scratch because what you have now isn't horrible.

Most games won't utilize more than 2 or 3 cores so even a decent tricore would be sufficient for gaming.
You do need a new mobo like techman said, but all in all I think you should wait save your money and build from scratch because what you have now isn't horrible.

I agree :] Also your CPU seems sufficient I just checked out the specs 3MB cache, 2.8ghz beats out my Athlon 6000 :)

aright.......most of u guys think i should go with option no. 3 then thats just ok for me but again i will have to replace my board with a one that supports overclocking.......and of course a i will have to buy a cooler too......

Now considering again i think there are two possibilities:
1)buy a board and a cooler and oc my current system (e7400)
2)for the same amount of money which will be spent on option 1 i can straight away buy a decent quad core maybe a used q9400.

which is better.

e7400 oced ~@3.5ghz or the q9400 at its base settings(ie not oced)

although it is noteworthy that overclocking an e7400 cpu wud cost me about $25 less.(which can be saved for a new system upgrade.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom