I want a beast to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I"m going for the Saiket Keyboard, it just stands out to me. I think its the elcipse two.

Guys, One final thing,

...Explain to me about over clocking? what's it do, is it safe? should I do it or should I be fine with the standard clock time?

Kohkane said:
I"m going for the Saiket Keyboard, it just stands out to me. I think its the elcipse two.

Guys, One final thing,

...Explain to me about over clocking? what's it do, is it safe? should I do it or should I be fine with the standard clock time?
Well i wouldnt overclock this system cause it will really be a Bad*** their would be no need to overclock a system this powerful.

there is always a reason to overclock ESPECIALLY the C2Ds. they are worth the money for there power but overclocked it's as if you're getting a rebate =)

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Read: http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2868&p=9

Multithreading is not just coming to Valve games, but all of them.

Courtesy of Games for Windows.com:

# Games Explorer support
# Parental controls
# Compatibility with the Xbox 360 controller (where applicable)
# Widescreen support
# 64-bit processor support
# Multi-core and multi-threading support
# Media Center support (Premium and Ultimate Vista packages ship with Media Center)

Quad core is the way to go, Kohane. M$ is pushing for all games to support it and many games are already using it. You would be a fool to think that more cores is not better, especially if you want the rig to last. two cores will be obsolete very, very , very soon as multithreading will mean "twice the power for twice the cores" as shown in that anandtech article.

why would it be the way to go when most games dont even support dual core right now?

wait maybe a year and see where quad core is, there will probably be more then one available and they will more than likley be chepaer until then a core 2 e6600 will last you a long *** itme

See thats what I was thinking Graham!! My uncle bought an XPS two years ago and its already a POS. I mean seriously, it not worth crap right now. At the rate the tech is going shouldnt i be looking in the future?? Programs will soon take advantage of it. In Feb wont the price of the Quad Core go down some as well? isnt that the word on the street. I'll read that article later, i'm in a rush but I'm glad i found someone who agrees with me, Fade2black, what do you think and why?

fade2black2004 said:
why would it be the way to go when most games dont even support dual core right now?

wait maybe a year and see where quad core is, there will probably be more then one available and they will more than likley be chepaer until then a core 2 e6600 will last you a long *** itme

Q12007 all the DX10 multithreaded games (Crysis, Battlefield 2 & 2142 multi support, Enemy Territory, Source Engine mutlitthreading support, etc)

To me, this guy doesn't sound like someone who buys a new processor all the time. Most people buy something and make it last until you can't run anything new even at average settings. I for one think it is silly to buy a core 2 e6600 right now and then just buy a quad core later on. That is only a year you say, and that is like spending $600+ in one year just on a processor. I got a socket 754 athlon 3200+ about five years ago, the fastest 64-bit CPU even though everyone told me to wait til socket 939. It didn't mean **** cause I made this comp last forever with only one video card upgrade from a 9700 pro to a x850 xt.

If I bought a PC again it would be something I keep for that long again and I am sure as **** quad core would rape dual in the long run. I never got a dual core because there was no sign of anyone actually implementing multithreading til now. So, since it is fact, unlike SLI giving double the performance for twice the cards, multithreaded CPUs will have a big impact. If i know game companies right you won't be able to see the top of the line gfx without a garbage fps unless you got the top hardware. That's what this guy wants and he wants to see as much of it for a long time. Buying a e6600 because right now it is good won't do that.

a good point graham.
it is true that the qc will last for quite some time.
however...
like i said in my earlier post, i dunno that he wants to be a quad core test subject, either.
but then again <scratch scratch> i guess we all are in some way.

i see your point but why not wait a little while because there is only 1 quad core out right now and it is really expensive.

you can get a core 2 e6600and it will last you for the next 2-3 years easily. and then in 2-3 years when they have better **** out for cheaper you can buy it

and it seems to me that games will start using dual core before quad core
you see what im saying?

The programming of multithreading will enable the use of more than one core, so there is no need to write new code to use 2,4,6,8, whatever amount of cores. If you look at the article from anandtech you can see that the quad core gets twice the perforamance rating of a dual, and four times that of a single, as expected. This really impresses me because I thought it would end up like SLI and not necessarily give perfect ratios of performance.

As for other quad cores coming out, they will be very expensive due to the fact that the 65nm manufacturing process is difficult to fit the cores onto. Intel has been working with 45nm for some time but it is not ready for implementation into desktop CPUs. When that comes out they will be cheaper, but that is not til like some time 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom