I think I finally got my act together

Status
Not open for further replies.
UA_Iron said:
Biostar TFORCE all the way!

In fact, that board and the ECS shouldnt even be compared in such a linear fashion.

Plus it has a combo option with the AMD 4000+, 10 bucks off.

Also, there's no reason to buy value ram DDR1 ram anymore. A better performing 1gig module is cheaper and lends itself to upgrading better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231046
Oh wow, didn't see that combo! The only think that was holding me back about this board was it had a lot of reviews saying the integrated lan was horrible with the 1.1 revision of the board. Have they fixed that? If they have did fix it than this is the board I wanted anyway so I'll get it.

Originally posted by UA_Iron Also, there's no reason to buy value ram DDR1 ram anymore. A better performing 1gig module is cheaper and lends itself to upgrading better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231046 [/B]
No reason? So running that single 1 gig module would be better than running 2x 512mb of value select in dual channel mode?

Yeah I know it would be better for upgrading, but would it really be better or same performance? If it wouldn't be better than how much worse would it be?

Spartan III said:
No reason? So running that single 1 gig module would be better than running 2x 512mb of value select in dual channel mode?

Yeah I know it would be better for upgrading, but would it really be better or same performance? If it wouldn't be better than how much worse would it be?

well it depends what you plan on doing, if you're gonna upgrade to 2 gigs sometime down the road than get teh single module. If you're gonna stay at 1 gig then the dual channel might be the better option. But if you go with the dual channel it wuold be worth it to spend 10 more bucks and get a set like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231012

they'll definitely run at 240mhz, you should be able to push your rig up to around 2.8ghz easily at good temps.

Right now I have an X2 4200+ running at 2.7ghz easily with the 2gb version of that memory on a biostar Tforce939.

UA_Iron said:
well it depends what you plan on doing, if you're gonna upgrade to 2 gigs sometime down the road than get teh single module. If you're gonna stay at 1 gig then the dual channel might be the better option. But if you go with the dual channel it wuold be worth it to spend 10 more bucks and get a set like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231012

they'll definitely run at 240mhz, you should be able to push your rig up to around 2.8ghz easily at good temps.

Right now I have an X2 4200+ running at 2.7ghz easily with the 2gb version of that memory on a biostar Tforce939.
Ok thanks. Yeah I don't plan on getting more than 1 gig with this rig, mostly just gaming and a little video editing so I am not sure it would really help to have more than 1 gig.

I am new to building computers(this is my first time) and have never done any overclocking so can you explain what you mean by "they'll definitely run at 240mhz, you should be able to push your rig up to around 2.8ghz easily at good temps. " run at 240mhz?

Spartan III said:
Ok thanks. Yeah I don't plan on getting more than 1 gig with this rig, mostly just gaming and a little video editing so I am not sure it would really help to have more than 1 gig.

I am new to building computers(this is my first time) and have never done any overclocking so can you explain what you mean by "they'll definitely run at 240mhz, you should be able to push your rig up to around 2.8ghz easily at good temps. " run at 240mhz?

ah well there's a front side bus (FSB) and a multiplier. The mutliplier is usually locked, on the 4000+ its set at 12x. The effective bandwidth of the ram is the FSB. It's defaulted at 200mhz. 12*200 = 2400mhz = 2.4ghz. By increasing the CPU voltage slightly you can get your system to run at a higher bandwidth, say 12*240 = 2880mhz = 2.88ghz.

Thats a very very basic explanation. If you go to the overclocking forum there are guides for overclocking the AMD 64 chips. Its incredibly easy, and when not pushing your hardware, really safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom