I, TheOtis, am finally building a new rig. Would like a few vets input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
w00t.

Ok so where to start...I'm hoping for the majority of the rig to hold up for a few years. The video card is the only part I don't mind lasting for just a six months to a year, after the 5800s are out for a few and drivers get panned out. Going back to school this fall and will be in for a solid three more years and looking forward to a lovely pile of debt when I'm out, so the longer she can have life the better.
I know the i5's are out very soon and we'll see some i7's for the 1156 and durka durka. However, what still draws me to the X58 chipset is the ability to use 12GB of RAM (will be playing with VM's, OS test bench, and RAMdisks often), hyperthreading (can't think of an app I use that takes advantage of it but maybe in the next couple of years a game or an app will) and the octo-cores hitting the i7s first. Plus theirs a 96% chance I'll be ordering everything before mid Sept.
Obviously I'll be gaming with this, but it's not it's primary use. So here's what I'm thinking of ordering, but I figured I'd throw this post out there thinking someone has a suggestion to save money somewhere. I want to keep this around $1,000, not more than $100-ish more, and obviously the lower the better.

Case- Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
DVDRW- Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
PSU- Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
HDD- Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
GFX- Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
MOBO- Newegg.com - Foxconn Renaissance LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
RAM- Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
CPU- Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
HS- Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
=$1,125.48 shipped.

I don't care a whole lot about the case. It just needs to be cheaper, have good airflow, and can't look like a Honda out of The Fast and the Furious. The PSU has to be high quality, that's why I chose Corsair. PC Power is cool too. The HDD is just $10 more than the 640GB but $20 less then the 1TB, so i figured it's a happy medium. The video card is cheaper then the 4770 and will play what I play now and should hold out until I can pick up a DX11 card. Plus audio out via HDMI being so simple for my TV is another seller. The mobo is cheap, is a good brand, and rocks 6x DIMMs. The RAM is a good combo of speed and timings plus it's a good price. CAS 6's get too spendy. The heatsink seems to be used often and again, is cheap.

So that's my reasoning behind everything. Input is appreciated and encouraged.

EDIT: I should add, I don't mind going to other online retailers if I can get a part cheaper, I'm just not sure what others are good or if any of you know any sw33t deals.

Overall the build looks extermely solid and there is very little I would change.

You could save $10 by switching the hard drive for a Samsung F1 with the same capacity.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD752LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

You may also want to pick up two 120mm front intake fans for the 300, I'm running that setup and have been extremely happy with the results. If you don't mind blue LED's Antec offers a version of the 300 with front intake fans for a extra $10.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

If you have a Microcenter nearby you may want to get the cpu from them since they generally have the i7 920 for $200.

yep, looks pretty good. Not too sure about that mobo, if you were planning on oc'ing your ram much. Not sure how much it'll take...

If you dont have a microcenter near you, i'm selling a D0 920 for what i paid for it + shipping/paypal fees. Which is about 250.

yep, looks pretty good. Not too sure about that mobo, if you were planning on oc'ing your ram much. Not sure how much it'll take...
Why not? Always thought Foxconn was a solid brand. And nah, I just expect to run the RAM as advertised.

This way around you are paying $10 for 110GB but not paying $20 for 250GB. So yeah, get the 640, the 1TB or the samsung that puddle suggested.
Yes, because that's $10 extra dollars I don't want to spend. Why would you guys suggeset a Sammy when it has so many bad reviews?

If you dont have a microcenter near you, i'm selling a D0 920 for what i paid for it + shipping/paypal fees. Which is about 250.
Nope I don't, none in the NW. Thanks for the offer dude, I'll hit you up on that when it's time to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom