I suck, can't get my heat sink on. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30
Default Re: A$$ O

Quote:
Originally posted by lancec2c30
what do you mean by that?
why did you edit my post??? I was trying to get a point across!!!! and you killed it.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hey mate I had the same problem as you, I managed to get the HS attactched properly in the end though, you just have to use a LOT of force to get all 4 pins to click through the mobo

G.Skill 2GB DDR2 667Mhz
Belinea 19\" Widescreen LCD
Antec Super Lanboy
Seasonic ATX v2 430W
Old 09-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ya, you won't break ur mobo, trust me
it IS scary if it's ur first time tho
Old 09-16-2006, 03:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by PunkPino
ya, you won't break ur mobo, trust me
it IS scary if it's ur first time tho
Yeah it's scary. The mobo is bending and I'm hearing wierd noises....I'd just be sooooo ****ed if I broke my mobo. ****ed beyond belief.

Also my thumb (which I need to push the god **** clips down) got cut on one of the fins and is now infected. Lol, doesn't help.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cappy
check the manufacture site and make sure you have all the pieces may have been a return minus some fasteners.Most heavy Heatsinks require removing the board to install a support base that the HS mounts to wich would explain your clearance problem.
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cp...1000-manu.html

No backplate. It's nice how it tells me to push "gently". haha yeah right.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Pull the little U shaped arm out, open the flap, place the CPU on, close the flap (takes a slight amount of force) and latch the arm back in.

The stock heatsink has little buttons you push that just push into holes on the motherboard and lock in like a fish hook. They are pretty cheesy.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
Pull the little U shaped arm out, open the flap, place the CPU on, close the flap (takes a slight amount of force) and latch the arm back in.
Yeah dude the cpu has been in.

Quote:
Originally posted by The General
The stock heatsink has little buttons you push that just push into holes on the motherboard and lock in like a fish hook. They are pretty cheesy.
Yeah dude my scythe infinity mounts the same way. It just takes some serious pressure and I'm scared of breaking the mobo.

So is the general concensus "push harder, it won't break"?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My god, I finally figured it out.

If the clips are twisted in one direction, they lock. If they are twisted in the other direction, they'll clip in but pull out with ease.

The reason I had to apply so much force is because one of the clips is broken and won't clip down when it gets pressed in...so now I'm working on getting that ****ing clip to work.

Whoever was saying how cheap these mechanizms are couldn't be more right. $55 for a scythe infinity and the clips are cheap and crappy as ****. ugh. If they spend an extra $2 manufacturing the **** things and past the cost on to the consumer it would be so much easier to deal with, although I'm not helped by the fact that my northbridge cooler gets the **** in my way.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

bbetter would have been, if you had placed Heatsink before installing motherboard in the Tray, as i always place hard components that require force first, so that it wont risk damage the PCB. best is to place motherbaord on the thin foam that comes with it over a hard surface. it wont bring any tension in the PCB.

BAD thing now in yur situation is, as you might have tried 4-5 times doig this, probability is, that you have disturbed the thermal compound by now. so bring some more, and clean heatsink and when you feel you are absolutely ready, then place heatsink over the CPU, as best is once you have placed the heatsink over CPU, avoid picking it up again, as some of the thermnal compound sticks with cpu. and non-smooth surface will result in air trapped/escaping b/w the surfaces of cpu and heatsink, resulting in poor heat dissapation.

XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Sony DVD-RW
Closed Thread