I need some recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedFreak

Solid State Member
Ok, I'm thinking about buying a new computer. I'm more concerned about the performance than money, because I'd like to have a good machine for the next couple of years (well, good in couple of years, but extra good now :p ). As the title says, I need

some information:

1. CPU + Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz
ASUS Striker II Formula 780i SLI with 775 Socket

This mobo is good for me because it's compatible with the Q9300 and I can use two GeForce cards in SLI, since I'm thinking about adding another one later. The only problem is that it only supports DDR2 memory. The question is should I wait for the Nehalem CPU+MOBO? Is it gonna be much more expensive than this combination, and will I need DDR3 ram for it?

2. Memory

If I decide to get the above CPU+MOBO combination, I will probably get 4x2gb DDR2 1066Mhz dual chanell memory. Is 'Geil' memory good, or which manufacturer should I buy? I'm still thinking of getting DDR3 ram... Are Nehalem compatible boards going to support DDR2 at all?

3. Chassis

I thought about getting ThermalTake SopranoFX. I also have a couple of questions here :) When it says that it has 11 drive bays, does it mean that I can combine HDD and DVD ROMS, or some are specially for HDD's and some for DVD ROMS? I never had a big tower before, so I'm not sure. The other question is, though I think the answer is positive, is GeForce GT200 type of GPU going to fit in there?

4. GPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, and will probably get another one later for SLI

Well that's all for now, I might have more questions later... Thank you in advance

P.S. I live in Southern Europe, so newegg and other sites are out of option, I'm never 100% sure it will ship... But I can get almost everything in shops (probably a little more expensive, but not too much)

1. forget the 780i striker. go for a 780i ftw! edition, cheaper and stillo ffers sli, and all the other stuff u want, if i were you forget sli, it really isnt worth it. just a gte a nice powerful card now 4870 or if you have to cash gtx280. so if your not gonna go sli go a gigabyte ep45-ds3

2.no ddr3 is needed atm. geil is a mid range type ram i guess u could say, not particularly good for overclocking. go gskill, a good ddr800 set will do u fine, PQ's maybe. but yes 2x2gb.
2.5. no nehalem wont support ddr2, only 3. so i suggest waiting for this, ur computer will be outdated quickly, and u want it to last.

3.some 3.5"(hdd) bays sum 5" bays(dvd) (internal and external) im pretty sure this includes em all. ill be damed if a case has 11 3.5" hdd bays.
3.5 yes a gtx200 series will fit, in any full tower.

4.i would get a 4870. its allmost as good as a gtx280 as abive i would forget sli. but agen if u nsist on nvidia get a 780i and a gtx280/260 and maybe sli in future.

Well I've been doing some research and decision making, and changed the configuration a little bit (with CorssFire in mind):

MB: Asus p5Q Premium

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 (and will probably very soon add another one)

RAM: What do you think about OCZ memory? That would be the easiest one for me to get, since I would have to order almost all other manufacturers. I thought about getting two of the 2x2Gb 1066Mhz dual channel Platinum Kit.

HDD: Western Digital 1TB and a smaller, partitioned one for operating systems

Case: Thermaltake SopranoFX

And off course, a question about PSU:
I though about getting Thermaltake 750W Thoughpower. It says that it's ATI CrossFire certified. Now, the ATI's page about system requirements for 4870 says that one card needs two 6-pin PCIe power connectors, and CrossFire needs four 6-pin PCIe power connectors. But when I see the specifications for the Thoughpower 750W on it's page, it says that it has only two 6-pin power connectors. Is it possible to connect two cards than?

I would get an nVidia based board. Until just now (4870x2) they always have the number 1 card, and I'm sure they'll regain their status. I have heard bad things about crossfire, but great about SLI. I saw you say 4x2GB of ram? That's so overkill, 4 is the most you need. OCZ is a very good brand that's what I've got. But 8 gigs of ram is totally pointless, use the money you save there to get a better cpu or power supply or something.

If you do go with an nvidia based board (which I recommend) the 9800GTX+ is better than the 4850 and they cost 200 bucks. For about the same price as one 4870, you can get two 9800GTX+. just my thought, but what do i know? And no that psu will not work, it will need four 6 pin connectors for two of those cards.

How much are you looking to spend?

I would get:

Q9650
P5Q Deluxe
2x2gb ReaperX
4870x2

If you need to save some money then go for the Q9550 or Q9450

if you plan on overclocking 8gb ram may limit your FSB as it puts quite a large strain on the NB. The P45 chipset should handle it ok though.

but its overkill because you won't notice a difference between 4 and 8.

because no programs are ever going to require that much. at most ud need 4. save the money use it sumwhere else

I would get an nVidia based board. Until just now (4870x2) they always have the number 1 card, and I'm sure they'll regain their status. I have heard bad things about crossfire, but great about SLI. I saw you say 4x2GB of ram? That's so overkill, 4 is the most you need. OCZ is a very good brand that's what I've got. But 8 gigs of ram is totally pointless, use the money you save there to get a better cpu or power supply or something.

If you do go with an nvidia based board (which I recommend) the 9800GTX+ is better than the 4850 and they cost 200 bucks. For about the same price as one 4870, you can get two 9800GTX+. just my thought, but what do i know? And no that psu will not work, it will need four 6 pin connectors for two of those cards.

I've heard opposite...

From what I've seen, Crossfire scales better, has dual-monitor support natively and most of the cards are cheaper for better performance

8gb is overkill right now, in the future... maybe not.. but by then DDR3 will be the standard anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom